how to stop a site from reloading which takes a long time

bigdan

Daemon Poster
i use okcupid quite a bit. in that when i'm going through a match's questions and answers it typically shows 5 questions at a time. if i want to see more i scroll down, then more loads, i scroll down, then more loads, etc. sometimes this can take a whole minute or more.

now the problem is if i want to comment on one of her questions, once i press enter, i have to load the whoooole thing again. so another minute to load everything. if i want to make another comment, the cycle repeats. so it can take like 5-10 mins sometimes just to load the page a few times.

is there away to either speed up the loading of a page; or more importantly, once i've loaded it, to not have to reload it each time?

Press "ESC" button, whilst page loads
That'll only work for whole-page refreshes. Sounds like the site is doing partial post-backs, or Ajax queries from javascript to load content.

i use okcupid quite a bit. in that when i'm going through a match's questions and answers it typically shows 5 questions at a time. if i want to see more i scroll down, then more loads, i scroll down, then more loads, etc. sometimes this can take a whole minute or more.

now the problem is if i want to comment on one of her questions, once i press enter, i have to load the whoooole thing again. so another minute to load everything. if i want to make another comment, the cycle repeats. so it can take like 5-10 mins sometimes just to load the page a few times.

is there away to either speed up the loading of a page; or more importantly, once i've loaded it, to not have to reload it each time?

Can you scroll through the whole questionnaire to pre-load all of the questions, and then go back and answer them? Is this during a "peak time" when lots of people may be using the site, and they're throttling connections?

That'll only work for whole-page refreshes. Sounds like the site is doing partial post-backs, or Ajax queries from javascript to load content.

Correct. Well, correct as in pressing escape doesn't work.

Can you scroll through the whole questionnaire to pre-load all of the questions, and then go back and answer them? Is this during a "peak time" when lots of people may be using the site, and they're throttling connections?

Fraid not. That's what I tried multiple times. As soon as I answer one of the questions the whole thing automatically 'refreshes' and I'm back to seeing 5 at a time. No I don't believe this is related to peak-timing. Is there a way I can easily record my screen to show you what's happening? Of course that may be too much trouble for you to see and I can appreciate that.

EDIT - I ended up making a recording anyway. That was simple! No worries if you're too busy to see it though. I'm on a different computer now and the site loaded so much faster than earlier, so that's great! But still took a while.
Here's the link:
blob:https://screenapp.io/3bece9d1-9310-4800-a6b8-f914850c63f5
It's a 71 second video. Here you can see I tried to load all the questions by pressing the End button on my keyboard. It took until the 0:42 mark for them to finish loading (so you can skip the first 40 seconds if you like). 0:42-0:54 I was answering one of them. And then I have to start from the beginning, pressing the End button to load everything.
Edit Again: sorry that link doesn't seem to work once posted here for some reason. Here's another one. Password is 123456
https://vimeo.com/432658088

Last edited:
Huh? It's appearing fine for me. I even tried in incognito mode to test. OK I'll try it again in the daytime just heading to bed right now.

The first link to vimeo worked when i clicked inspect and then found the real link
I would say the best thing you can do about that would be to get a faster internet connection.
Would it be possible to test your internet speed with the link below and post the results here?

Internet speed test just click "GO"

Last edited:
Thanks. I've got two laptops both on wifi. Just tested both, ~84 Mbps download, 18 Upload. I also did so on bing.com (they have a speedtest apparently) and that only gave me 27 Mbps download for some reason.
Are you able to tell me how you got the vimeo link via inspect element? (on which browser).
Edit - did another bing speedtest. The 27 Mbps I said earlier was on the slower laptop. the faster one gives me 84 Mbps, which matches speedtest.com

nice. 84 is not too bad considering my horrendous 11Mbps download but as for the video I used google chrome, right clicked inspect on the video and then tracked down the link the video is working here now though. Might be my crappy internet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom