Windows XP startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

joram10176

Beta member
Ok i am not a PC expert so someone may have already asked this question in which case i am sorry!!
I had a problem with internet explorer so had to reinstall XP but ever since when i turn the PC on i get a black screen asking which version i want to start
1: windows xp home edition
2: windows xp home edition
3: last good one
i have found that number 2 does not work so i alway load number 1 but how can i get rid of this screen??
as it is very annoying
any help would be appreicated

Jay

you may have installed windows XP right over the old windows XP. i would reinstall windows XP, but this time delete the partition that winXP was on and than create the same partition again. you can do all this with just using the winXP CD.

or you can take the hard disk to another windows XP machine and format it by right-clicking on the drive and selecting format or use administrative tools>> computer management>> storage.
im not sure exactly the names but that is about right i think.

CAUTION:
make sure you check the contents of the drive before you format, otherwise you will have a bigger headache to deal with. if you do not have NTFS partitions you can use any windows operating system to format. and since it already has been formatted you can save a lot of time by using the quick format option. if you are using the winXP CD method of recreating the partition make sure you delete the correct one and DO NOT use the quick format option because you have created a new partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom