Too much 'Hit & Run'.

New people rarely read the rules. They just go on the site, look around and post. I really think we need more mods here. To take the load off you guys. Just sayin'
I'll be honest here.. I haven't read them either :tongue:

Well, plus the PM, sig, and avatar rules. See those all the time, why can't I do this at 10 posts?

I just lightly looked over the rules. When you get an infraction from a rule, you never forget it :p

This thread looks like a good place for me to Hit and Run :thumbsup:
If that means that you agree with the reply Posts above yours then I agree, your HnR is purposeful and has a meaning.

> Summer time is here (in the northern hemisphere) which means school is out, which brings around a lot more of this kind of thing.
Maybe I became more mindful of this and it coincided with that event; perhaps they will get a Girlfriend or Boyfriend and have less time to play with us.

It is tough and what can be done.

> Is there not a way to do a test upon signup of the basic rules to see if they should have moderated posts or not?

How about:

• First Post moderated (to prevent Spambots) or a new Thread started in the "New Member Introductions", failing that 12 moderated Posts with the Mod's option to promote at any time.
  • If five or more Users (anyone) click on the "Report Post" /!\ Button anyone with less than 2 dozen Posts gets their Posts hidden until they are unlocked by a Moderator.
  • Use of star-words, words that could not be heard on Television, or links to thee 'BlackList Sites List' gets their Posts hidden until they are unlocked by a Moderator.
  • The end of the "Rules" could contain a 'codeword' to unlock your account and when you sign-on you are redirected to an URL (for ten seconds) that says "You did not read the Rules", then you redirects you there.

Those could all be automatic with little extra effort.

Other suggestions?

(PS: Thanks for the positive and helpful replies :) ).

perhaps they will get a Girlfriend or Boyfriend and have less time to play with us.

Boys and girls under 13 don't often date. Not saying it doesn't happen, just not very common. They will always play with us till the end of the world.

They will always play with us till the end of the world.

Come play with us

2172894194_c6e3047c67.jpg

These so called "Hit & Runs" are just a part of the Beast. We cannot place restrictions on them and expect to survive as a forum. Everyone needs help sooner or later, but not everyone is capable of being a full-time forum member. Does this mean we should try to discourage them from posting here? Just because they get a little help and we don't see them again doesn't mean they don't recommend us to their friends when they have problems. Some of these friends may just be more "Hit & Run" posters, some maybe future active posters. I joined my 1st forum to get help because a friend advised me to, and he was a "Hit & Run" poster. This and every other site survives because of their numbers. 1 user with 5000 posts or 5000 users with 1 post, 5000=5000.

These so called "Hit & Runs" are just a part of the Beast. We cannot place restrictions on them and expect to survive as a forum. Everyone needs help sooner or later, but not everyone is capable of being a full-time forum member. Does this mean we should try to discourage them from posting here? Just because they get a little help and we don't see them again doesn't mean they don't recommend us to their friends when they have problems. Some of these friends may just be more "Hit & Run" posters, some maybe future active posters. I joined my 1st forum to get help because a friend advised me to, and he was a "Hit & Run" poster. This and every other site survives because of their numbers. 1 user with 5000 posts or 5000 users with 1 post, 5000=5000.
Beast is correct, best not.

We could place restrictions and expect to survive. How about we simply toss out the Rule Book for two months, the Mods can take a break and lets see what happens; seem like a great idea ? Not.

Someone always needs to discourage someone from doing something foolish, I only suggest that we take some manual and automated steps. If they feel discouraged from posting here because they don't get to: 1. take ownership of the Forum and our lives, 2. post Links to things that are unwanted and 3. swear like a Docker, then we are better off without them. We can continue, either like them or without them.

If all this site wants is hits you have the correct idea, the old men here can change their Avatar and lots of young fellows will come to visit. Lots of Hits. What is it we wish to sell, or what are we selling (rhetorical: Q: how better to phrase that?). Lets go with quality and not quantity.

Do we (I) want 5000 "friends" with one question or one "friend" with 5000 questions - neither, but thank you for asking, next question. How about 500 friends with "qualities" that are desirable.

We get our Hits (partially) from Google and there being a (sensible) question that is either "rare and useful" or "common and needed" followed by a Thread of sense and reason; no one wants to search through ten Pages of 'me toos', rants, 'thats a FAIL' replies to get the answer - that is why MANY Sites now have 'voted answers' that percolate to the top of the Pile and a tick-box to say that the question was answer (we have the tick box too but of course it goes unused, too complicated).

Trotter mentioned (#3) he will look at deriving some improvement as times permits, Thanks again.

PS: Good one carnageX, those Girls are a Shining example. Ref: http://adampolselli.com/2008/01/06/stanley-kubricks-editing-in-the-shining/ via TinEye.

Back
Top Bottom