Member introductions forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yami

Lady Techie
Hey, I was just looking for where to post something and noticed how low down the 'New Member Introductions' forum is; I just thought it might serve it's purpose better higher up in the column of sub-forums so it will get noticed better, may attract more members. I realise it's technically 'organised', being where it is now, but you know what I mean.
What do you folks think?

Edit: And annoyingly, I've now forgotten what I was going to post about.
Edit2: Nvm I remembered :D

I think it would be a good idea not to only bring the new members section to the top but the whole Tech-Forums Info category up. Might have a lot less problems with new members not reading the rules etc.

I remember a few years ago the Miscellaneous section was up top and it was determined that toward the bottom was a better place for it (the section that houses the OT forum) I also want to think that the tech forums Information section was up towards the top too but can't remember exactly if that was moved down too during that change. This might be a call for the "Way Back Machine".... Good idea though

EDIT: And Hey!!!!
First hit, success!

Computer Technology Forum - Computers, Hardware, Audio, PC Gaming & Mods

Seems it was like that the year that I joined. Looks like the New Member was combined with the Off Topic. I knew it was up there but definitely didn't remember them being together:) Interesting ...

I definitely wouldn't want OT at the top of the forum. :D

I would like to have the Rules, News, and Announcements and New Member Introductions at the top of the forums, as these need to be more visible. Maybe even Site Feedback & Suggestions. The Folding@Home forum could be moved to the Miscellaneous section.

The only problem is that this could screw up vBSEO and possibly the forum's ability to link to them.

Wow, that was a LONG time ago. Only 7k members back then! Now there are like 48k!

Yea, check out the number of posts in the sections... lol

I can't remember exactly when we determined that the change was needed, but I do remember talking to Dave and Larry about it in the Super Mod forums... so it must have been during that particular time... sometime in 04 or maybe even 05. :( Not sure.

I don't think Rules, News, and Announcements and New Member Introductions moving *all* the way to the top, as I think most visitors here are looking for Building/etc. for General PCs, but at least moved up - in a lot of forums I frequent, the Rules are usually found around where the User CP link is right now. maybe it could be moved there and bolded or something?

The rules are posted in the announcements found at the top of every forum. The Rules, News, and Announcements forum is for changes/additions tot he rules, as well as general announcements that do not need to be put in the ones on every forum. It contains info that all members need to see.

It seems to me the simplest thing to do is leave it as is. When you finish registering have a "thank you for registering and go to this section link for new member introductions". After you introduce yourself no one needs easy access to that section.

It seems to me the simplest thing to do is leave it as is. When you finish registering have a "thank you for registering and go to this section link for new member introductions". After you introduce yourself no one needs easy access to that section.
Problem is, people either miss or ignore that, as I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom