wireless without wireless router

Status
Not open for further replies.

yashar

Banned
can you get internet access by having a wired router but wireless adapter for the notebook? i really doubt it...... one of my friends said you could.

No, I think that is pretty much not possible. You may be able to see a signal from your neighbor....but its not coming from you :)

i have never tested this, but the only way i see it working is by having at least 2 wireless cards running in Ad-Hoc mode. one of the computers with this card must act as an ICS server serving the internet connection to the other machine. that server is the only machine which needs a modem connected to it.

this method requires no router at all. i have never tested that out so i am not certain it will work. My recommendation is don't be a cheapskate. get the wireless access point or wireless router, you save some headaches.

i just figured out what your friend was saying. it should be much easier than what i suggested. use a wired router and 2 wireless network cards in Ad-Hoc mode. use winXP to bridge the wired LAN connection with the wireless connection.

you now can share the internet wirelessly in addition to sharing the internet over your wired LAN. this sounds like it would work and is much easier to setup.

i don't use xp............... is that a big problem...... if its not can u walk me through step by step? and whats Ad-Hoc

wireless has 2 modes of operation: infrastructure or Ad-Hoc. Ad-Hoc requires no access point. each wireless card basically acts as access point.

connection bridging is only supported by winXP i think. if you don't use that OS you will need to get a wireless router or acces point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom