Wireless vs Speed Booster Wireless vs Wireless SRX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler1989

Fully Optimized
What is the true difference between normal wireless, speedbooster, and SRX besides a steep price difference. Will one notice an increase in range that your wireless router creates? Also for standard high speed internet will you notice a difference between the three different brands. Will it affect download speed.

I've been told speedbooster and SRX only help home network speeds and not internet speeds but I have my doubts.

Speed booster wireless is just an enhancement, its not its own technology really.

Their is no real difference between any of them, they are still running on the 802.11a/b/g format.

SRX on the other hand actually does something, it claims that it can extend the range of your wireless network, it can, but not by are GREAT amount, you will notice atleast a 25% signal strength increase in those tough to get signal zones from this technology.

Speedbooster (linksys) SuperG Mode (dlink) and SRX, or any other technology that you can think of cannot increase your actual internet speed, they only increase the speed of your LA.

Hope that was helpful, there is probably something that I forgot to add, so others will fill in my gaps I suppose.

Speed booster is useless. Basically it's like a squid server added onto your router for $20 more. It doesn't help near enough to even justify a $10 increase in price.

SRX on the other hand stands for Speed and Range expansion, and it is definately a good buy. SRX uses MIMO technology (Multiple Input Multiple Output), which is one of the key features of the upcoming 802.11n Wi-Fi specification.

Basically the theory is that the more antennas you put on the router the more signals you're going to send out. Over long distances parts of a signal are going to be lost. The more signals you send out, the more fragments of signals you're going to recieve. You can then piece together those fragments and make an entire signal out of them.

That's how MIMO technology was explained to me. To answer your question, yes the SRX routers are worth it. I haven't tried one yet, but I do know that the new linksys router that uses SRX also comes with a WPA2 security encryption option right out of the box. Hope that helps.

Sorry, I have a piggyback question.

will 802.11n be backward compatible with g and will get all the mimo benefits? Just curious.

Sorry for having another question.

As for speedbooster, it adds nothing additional over the standard linksys router. basic g.

NV

Yes 802.11n will be backwards compatible with 802.11g (and 802.11a as well). 802.11n will use some form of MIMO.

thanks for the great info but if anyone else has anything to add I'd be thankfull *bump*

Also for a second question 802.11n, when will it be released a year (ish) and for what price.

Well they haven't even submitted a proposal to the 802.11 committee yet, so it a long way off. End of 2007 is really optimistic in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom