Wireless Bridge Vs. Wireless Access Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
NETGEAR ME101AU 802.11B Wireless Ethernet Bridge

The ME101 802.11b Wireless Ethernet Bridge from NETGEAR allows you to connect your Gaming Console, PC, or Internet radio to your wireless network. There is no need for additional ethernet cabling, and no other adapter is needed to connect a device that has an ethernet port. With its attractive, sleek platinum casing, the ME101 can be conveniently mounted on the wall without an aesthetic sacrifice to your home d‚cor. The powerful, detachable antenna provides greater range and signal strength than most other Wi-Fi wireless devices. The ME101 802.11b Wireless Ethernet Bridge is the device to take your multiplayer gaming, TiVo, or Internet radio experience to the next level.

3 Main Selling Points
- Allows your Gaming Console or PC to directly access your 802.11b wireless network without any new wires
- Greater range and signal strength than most other 802.11b wireless products
- Wall-Mountable to save valuable desk or floor space

Most Important Features
- Sleek, compact, wall-mountable chassis
- 4 dBi detachable antenna
- Small, light, power adapter

NETGEAR WG602AU 802.11G DUAL BAND ACCESS POINT

- Up to 5x faster than 802.11b-only products
- Extend your existing Ethernet network to remote locations with high speed wireless networking
- Fully IEEE 802.11b (2.4 GHz) compliant and compatible
- Industry standard security technology prevents unauthorized access to your network

MOST IMPORTAT FEATURES:

- Works with both IEEE 802.11b + draft 802.11g (both 2.4 GHz)
- Speeds of up to 54 Mbps
- Office roaming for notebook PC users
- Shared broadband Internet access and resources
- 128-bit WEP encryption

NETGEAR's future-ready WG602 Wireless Access Point connects to all IEEE 802.11b wireless networks, and, at the same time, lets you add new clients based on the forthcoming, screaming-fast IEEE 802.11g* standard at 54 Mbps. With these high-speed data transmissions, you can accomplish a lot of work in no time. Network users can share a broadband Internet connection, access e-mail, download large files, videoconference, plus distribute and play digital images, videos, and MP3 files. Easy to set up and use, NETGEAR's intuitive Install Assistant makes driver installation a cinch. Up to 128-bit WEP encryption means secure wireless network communications.

KEY FEATURES:

- Works with both IEEE 802.11b + draft 802.11g (both 2.4 GHz)
- Speeds of up to 54 Mbps
- Office roaming for notebook PC users
- Shared broadband Internet access and resources
- 128-bit WEP encryption

Customer all ready has the ADSL Router, but he now wants to go wireless. He does not want to replace is Router. He is going for a Wireless B network.

And I suspect that he is sharing is DSL connection with his next store neighbour.

Question is, what is the difference between a bridge and an access point?

Which one will be better for this job?

i do not have a technical explanation, this is what i beleive.

-a access point is like a switch or HUB, but wireless.

-a bridge connects wireless network hardware with wired network hardware

today a wireless router does all of this and replaces both the access point and bridge. so i recommend you get a bridge as that is basically your only option anyways.

the wireless router lets you plug in network cable so you do not need a bridge to connect that ADSL Router. i recommend getting the steroid version of wireless G which is 108Mbps.

a specific model is the netgear 108 G with built in firewall incoporating SPI secure packet inspection, i can't remember the model number

ekÆsine said:
i do not have a technical explanation, this is what i beleive.

-a access point is like a switch or HUB, but wireless.

-a bridge connects wireless network hardware with wired network hardware

I might go for the bridge then. It seems you can do more stuff with it. (Like hooking up your X-Box Live Wireless to the internet.)

ekÆsine said:
today a wireless router does all of this and replaces both the access point and bridge.

I tried explain this to the end user, but they are a tight @$$.

Thanks for the advise.

Yea, ek's right. In conjunction, a network bridge is a device that can connect 2 or more general network segments together regardless of media type. So they both could be wireless, wired or one each wireless and wired.

-Mike

i was thinking about that while going to sleep. i forgot to add the word "wireless" to my bridge definition since she mentioned "NETGEAR ME101AU 802.11B Wireless Ethernet Bridge"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom