Will all this extra camera traffic on our new network slow down our every day computing on our other devices...

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Ok, one more question...

We are in the process of setting up a security camera surveillance system with several cameras...

Will all this IP 1080 camera traffic cause our other computers to run slower on the wireless network I hope to set up?

Example: We plan on having 8-12 HD IP 1080 cameras rolling at any given moment. Will my wife's Blackberry, her i5 laptop, my monster computer, or my Nexus 7 run slower over the internet [or within our new network] due to this new type of traffic?

The reason I am asking is because when I tested the download speed of the wireless company's internet service, it we were only able to obtain 1.5 mps max.

Here at the present ranch [dsl], we are at 2-2.3 mps. My parents house [in the Bay Area] on Comcast cable obtains such fast speeds that I felt dizzy when I set up their computers...

So my question is, will all this extra camera traffic on our new network slow down our every day computing on our other devices...

Thanks,

Soar

You have to remember that all normal wireless access systems are only designed to connect devices at 54mbg and yes the more devices that you have connected and passing any type of traffic will slow the system dowm.

All this does not have any thing to do with the actual internet connection.

So....if you have a standard wireless system at home and you have 8-12 cameras and 5-6
computers/Ipads/notebooks all connected and passing traffic, each device will take a portion of the 54mb bandwith.

Think of the local highway, if the highway is designed to pass 200 cars in a minute and then 600 try to pass then every thing slows down.

Back
Top Bottom