Lanky007

Beta member
I am looking for a good link or thread to show
Me how to link my Belkin N 300 wireless router
To another Tp-link wireless adsl+2 router to make the
Second one a repeater to strengthen the wifi signal
I am using windows 7 professional as my operating system
Thanks frank

By repeater do you mean you wan to have two wireless routers running to cover more distance or something?

My understanding is that if you have a modem>switch or router>wireless router.

You can easily connect a wireless router to an output port on another wireless router. I don't think you'll notice a difference in speed though.

Also, make sure you don't chain something like ac and g or g and n type wireless. Your router will bottleneck the network speeds.

What's the model number of the Tp-Link?

There are several ways of doing this. The easiest way is to set the Belkin to access point mode and connect a cable from one of its LAN ports to one of the Tp-Link's LAN ports. Turn off dhcp and set up the wireless on the Belkin and you're all set. It's that simple. Here's the link: Belkin USA Site

It gets a little more complicated if you don't want any cables and it will depend on whether or not the two routers will support WDS or wireless bridging/repeater mode. You might need third party firmware like DD-WRT. You'll want to look around the Belkin's setup page to see if you can find any options for WDS/bridging/repeater.

Also, make sure you don't chain something like ac and g or g and n type wireless. Your router will bottleneck the network speeds.

It depends on how you have it set up. Mixing wireless standards in a single network when using WDS or wireless repeaters will give you the speed of the slower standard. However, an access point wired to the router broadcasting its own SSID will allow you to use a different standard without slowing anything else down. This doesn't do much to provide wider coverage, it is purely for segregating your network.

Back
Top Bottom