WiFi conneciton issue

SouZaclabam

Solid State Member
Good Afternoon everyone,

I'm encountering an issue with my wifi connection basically I've connected my pc using a wireless connection using a wifi adapter and I'm getting half the download speed that I'm getting on my phone for example on my phone I'm getting 6-8Mbps but on my pc I'm having around 2-4Mbps.

Any ideas on how i can fix my issue, thanks in advance!!

It might just be that you have a USB 3 adapter plugged into a USB 2 portso you could try switching it to a USB 3 port. Also i would try moving it to another port anyway.
What are you using to test your internet speed? And what type of internet connection do you have? Sometimes if you have satellite your internet speed can be different at different times of the day depeding on who is online in your area

Good Afternoon everyone,

I'm encountering an issue with my wifi connection basically I've connected my pc using a wireless connection using a wifi adapter and I'm getting half the download speed that I'm getting on my phone for example on my phone I'm getting 6-8Mbps but on my pc I'm having around 2-4Mbps.

Any ideas on how i can fix my issue, thanks in advance!!

First thing to keep in mind is that wifi connection will never be as good as a wired connection.

Your download and upload speed will depend on the position of the device to the router/access point, and the quality wifi adapter/antenna's, any other interference from other wireless devices and bandwidth used (if other websites or programs are using the internet on the device whilst doing speedtest).

With regards to comparing against your phone, it could simple be your phone has a better wifi adapter and antenna, but also in a better position to the router/access point.

What is the download and upload speed you actually pay for?
What wifi adapter did you buy - make and model?
where is your computer in proximity to your router/access point in the building, how far away would you say it was?
Is there any solid walls in between your computer and router/access point?
How many other wireless devices or routers are in the building?

Last edited:
I sounds like that wifi router stinks if you get 10< Mbps when they are paying for 100mbps This sounds like a router problem and not a computer problem.

Yeah wired connection would have been awesome but i cannot do it here the house owner is paying for up to ~100mbps connections not many devices are connected and also the antenna that my wifi antenna is connecting to is 3m away from me but yeah i have some walls between the antennas I'm using this adapter
https://www.mercusys.com/pe/product/details/mw300uh

OK can you do a speed test with the network cable plugged in to the PC just as a quick test, let us know results, feel free to screenshot .

Also, it sounds like you are sharing the house/ wifi, so as I mentioned it could be the bandwidth and interference too.

USB 2 provides up to 480Mb of data bandwidth and this wireless adapter you bought is USB 2. Other variables can attest to a slower speed:
Amount of users on the connection
Other user internet activity during the speedtest
QoS options on the router
PC operating system
PC CPU speed
Interference/obstacles
2.4GHz connection on the wireless adapter vs probably 5GHz connection on the phone. (The wireless adapter in question doesn't support 5GHz)

Back
Top Bottom