Why not smaller switches

aimo3

In Runtime
Desktop PCs have become mini tower, laptops have become slimmer and lighter and mobile phones shrank till there was a need for a bigger screen. The very same happened to all other IT devices (execpt those which require size in itself like printers) including monitors, cameras, routers, servers, unmanaged switches, APs, ... ect.

Why on earth doesn't managed switched shrink too? especially in depth (and in width for 24-port)?

Who needs to use managed switches? Businesses.
Where do you put switches in a business? In a network rack.
Would it be annoying if the switches didn't fit the standardized rack width for easy mounting? **** yes it would be :p

That's my guess anyway :grin:

Last edited:
It's called industry standard, and not just businesses use it. 19" racks are used in more than just the computer world too. One thing I can agree on is depth and weight though.

20446518-1404159559619312-1813477371-o.jpg

My Ubiquiti switch isn't that long or heavy though and it's POE with a 150W PSU.

Yeah, clearly they can shrink it in depth and make it lighter too. But also mounting a smaller switches can be done with brackets. Because smaller offices/shops don't always have racks. I have a couple of locations where there is no room to place a rack.

Yeah, clearly they can shrink it in depth and make it lighter too. But also mounting a smaller switches can be done with brackets. Because smaller offices/shops don't always have racks. I have a couple of locations where there is no room to place a rack.

You can get small racks too - place I worked in HS, we had a small 5 or 6U high "rack" that had a switch mounted in it, and the rack was just in a small wooden frame, and sat on top of a shelf.

You do realize that they make smaller managed switches too, they just come with fewer ports.

https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-SG300-...qid=1501172935&sr=8-9&keywords=managed+switch

Smaller, but the more ports you need the bigger it's going to get.

Back
Top Bottom