Using win2000 for print server from xp laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomer32

Beta member
Hi,

I have set up an ad hoc wireless network between a win 2000 desktop and a xp media center laptop. I am trying to use the desktop as a print server for the laptop.

I set up the network with WEP. The xp sees it and connects automatically, however when I try to print I get an error on the desktop that states xC0000005 ACCESS VIOLATION. I have tried everything I can think of to get the thing to work.

The xp has just the windows firewall running and the 2000 is not connected to the internet and has no firewall.

Please help!

Do you have print sharing enabled for the desktop?

Also, are the proper printer drivers installed on both computers?

Printer and file sharing is enabled on the desktop and the laptop.

I cannot find the printer installation disc. I set up the printer on the laptop by typing in the server and printer name and it was found and said it was installing the driver from the desktop. The printer config runs and looks the same as on the desktop. I didn't try to change any settings from the laptop though.

So, you are able to print out test pages without a problem if the printer is directly connected to either host? If NOT, then you will have to visit the website of the manfacturer, and get the correct drivers.

Test pages print just fine from the desktop. I haven't tried plugging in the laptop to print a test page but i'll try that first thing tomorrow(network is at a friend's place).

I am going to go ahead and download the drivers and I'll put them on a flash drive to install when I get over there. Thanks.

I installed the drivers on the laptop and then deleted and added the printer back onto the laptop. Wireless printing now works from the laptop.

But when I try to print images it doesn't shrink the image to fit on a page and instead prints a sixth of the picture onto each of six pages(3 wide by 2 high). I was using paint to print from the laptop. Any advice on how to fix this?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom