Using only Ethernet to detect network places?

ATIRAGEPRO

Daemon Poster
Sorry if this is one of those super-ultra-extremely noob questions. :p

I connect to the internet using primarily a wireless adapter, accessing a router connected to a Cable modem. I recently bought a new Router, and have the old one lying around. I have two laptop computers, (one is a PC and the other is an old iBook from 2001) which I sometimes connect together through the old router, (using Ethernet cables) which is no longer connected to the internet in order to transfer files from one computer to the other quickly. The problem is that I find myself having to switch the wireless adapters on both machines completely OFF in order to get them both to connect to each-other through the old router's Ethernet network.

My question is this: Is there a way (for the PC at least) to detect network places (as in other computers on a network) only through the wired network? So far it can't differentiate between the router for internet access, and the router I need for networking.

Any ideas?

Bump

The PC I want to use to use to make this work is running Windows XP home SP3 on a 10/100 base T Ethernet, and the router I'm using for the wired network is a Netgear N 150. (IP: 192.168.1.1) The one I use for internet access is some Comcast router/cable modem hybrid. (IP: 10.0.0.1)

What I want to do is change the "my network places" folder, (Start > My network places) to only detect computers on the wired network and ignore the ones on the wireless network.

Hope that helps clarify things. Any suggestions?

Is there any way to access a computer just through the Ethernet network AT ALL? It works just fine when the wireless adapters are turned off, yet when they're on the computer just presumes I want to connect to the other computer through wireless.

Thanks anyway.

Back
Top Bottom