Using D-Link with Xfinity router/modem help! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2015, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Using D-Link with Xfinity router/modem help!

So I am finally using a D-Link DIR-615 router with my awful xfinity modem/router combo. I contacted comcast and they put the modem into bridge mode. I already setup the router on another network (with help from a friend) and can find the wifi name I created and connect, but I have no internet with the wireless connection. I am able to still use my hardwired connection on the xfinity modem (how we are talking now). Do I need to hardwire myself to the router and go into some admin settings and fix something to get my internet to work? It has the latest firmware. I have unplugged both xfinity and the router multiple times to do a power cycle, still nothing. Any suggestions? Networking noob here. I just want better wireless in my small apartment. Thanks!

|Steam-Braz90|*
braz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: Using D-Link with Xfinity router/modem help!

First thing if they put their router in bridged mode you shouldn't have to worry about conflicting LANS. Does comcast use dhcp or pppoe? If they use pppoe then you'll have to change that in your d-link and put your username and password in.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Night Ninja

Default Re: Using D-Link with Xfinity router/modem help!

Comcast uses DHCP. There shouldn't be anything to configure. Basic settings on the router (DHCP on, Auto IP from ISP on, etc) should already be set. The only settings you should change are SSID, Encryption Key (WiFi Password), and router's admin password. If it's not working, you may reset the router to factory and see if it works that way. If so, it probably wasn't set right.