Three Computers, Two Connect To Network, One Doesn't - WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorum

Beta member
I'm stumped on this issue: I've got three computers and a wireless network. Two computers connect just fine, no problems. The third randomly drops the internet connection. It connects to networks at local hot spots just fine, and I had the hardware tested w/ no problems, it's just at home that it drops the connection. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Does this computer only loose connection in a certain part of the house? Will it loose connection when located right next to another one that does not loose connection?

The location in the house doesn't seem to matter, but I never noticed if it only happened when it was around another computer. What would cause it to lose the connection in that case?

Which operating systems do these computers run?
Is the problem computer a laptop? what model is the wi-fi network adapter?
what model gateway/router are you using?

I guess I'm pointing out the obvious, but have you checked to make sure there is no limit set as to how many simultaneous connections are allowed in the router settings?

Two run XP. The laptop (a Dell XPS we got a couple months ago, the problem computer) runs Vista. I don't know what the network adapter model, how can I check that?

I'm using a two-year-old Netgear router, how can I check if there's a limit to the number of computers I connect to it? Is this a common restriction on routers?

it sounds like you might be having an interference on the wireless device or because your using vista your drivers might be an issue (even though its a new computer it can still be an issue)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom