Stronger Wifi or Weaker cable

Dampel

Baseband Member
I have two internets in my household, one i can connect to with an ethernet cable but its about half the Mbps of my wifi, i get over 200mbps on the wifi.

I play a load of online games so id like the best for when i play.

Edit: using speedtest.net it told me that my wifi was Ping:12ms Download Speed:217.38Mbps Upload Speed: 12.36Mbps
And my cable internet is Ping:8ms Download Speed: 50.96Mbps Upload: 4.99Mbps

Last edited:
So you have two different Internet subscriptions? What type of Ethernet port do you have on your computer and router? If your wifi is reaching those speeds you are most likely on a 5ghz wifi channel. If your Ethernet port on either end (PC NIC or Router/Switch) is only a 10/100 you may see speeds like 50 down, although theoretically you should be able to achieve up to 100mbps down, but there are many factors that could cause it to drop.

Can you tell us more about the type of Internet subscription you have and what hardware you are using such as NIC and router/modem model and make. Also are you using cat5e cable. Cat5 (rarely used anymore in the states at least) can only support 10/100 whereas cat5e supports up to gigabit speeds.

Back
Top Bottom