Setting up Server 2012 R2

luke127

The Ghost
Hi guys,

Got a couple of questions regarding setting up a small server. It's a SOHO network, so only one server. Basically I'm installing AD, DNS, and DHCP servers onto this box. In which order should I install these? I had a whole ton of dramas after I misconfigured my DNS server, but only realised after AD had been installed, among other things.

So we're aware here, this is for an education assessment. However none of the documentation I've read actually states in what ORDER these servers should be installed. I'm not overly worried if it's not a textbook answer and just a personal opinion, but I just need something that'll work.

Cheers,
Luke

Unless things have changed from Server 2008, you need DNS before you can install AD, so you should start with that. I would setup AD next since that's the big thing you want to get working - make sure it works and then add whatever roles you need, the order won't really matter after that.

The reason being that, if you want AD then you'll have to start over if the installation for AD or DNS goes sideways, so get that worked out before installing all your other roles. If DHCP or RRAS or something gets messed up then you can always just remove the role and re-add it.

Back
Top Bottom