Server with file transfer between local computers

noperator

Beta member
Here's the scenario. I want to be able to download files from my main computer on my phone from anywhere in the world as long as there's internet. This is trivial to do if I use my main computer as a server, but I'd much prefer to host the server from a different machine for security reasons, processor load, etc.. I can access my server by typing in 23.16.xxx.xxx:8080 (my router's IP and a random port I forwarded to the server) anywhere in the world and I can access my main computer from within my LAN by typing 192.168.1.11:8090 (the main computer's IP and the port Apache is listening to). Now what needs to happen is I go to the server's webpage and from there I can click a link to access my main computer's webpage (which just points to it's c drive) and download whatever I need. I'm just starting out in all this internet related stuff so I apologize if this was hard to understand. Thanks.

Could you expand on that? Do you mean I should use an FTP client on my phone and host an FTP server from the main computer? I don't want to host anything that connects to the internet from the main computer; I don't know nearly enough about internet security for that. I did, however just figure out how to host a local FTP server and I can now transfer files to the server with the windows ftp command or an FTP client. I'm not sure how this helps me though.

Do you want to access your computer by actually logging into it and getting the desktop because it thats what you want then you can use team veiwer and there is a way to configure it so that it will keep the same i.d and pin #. then with your phone as long as its an android teamviewer also makes an app for those phones

Not quite. I basically want to be able to see a file tree of the main computer when I click a link on the servers webpage. When I click on one of the files in the tree, the respective file will be sent from the main computer to the server and then to my phone (or whatever/whoever visited the webpage). I just started learning PHP yesterday and I think this should be fairly easy to implement with some PHP and C with the help of the windows ftp command.

SOOO..major question here,

If I understand what you want, then this is what should happen.

If I log into the web page, I should be able to see the file tree on the main computor or on the server?

Also, why would you wish to do some thing like this when if you setup a VPN link to your computer you can do the same thing and only you can do this connect.

Back
Top Bottom