Question about my options with POE

drocksmash

Beta member
Hello!

I am wondering if anyone has any input or direction on POE devices.

Long story:

I have 4 video cameras (hikvision 3MP dome/bullet cameras) and they are powered via POE cable and I have four cables run up my wall into my attic. I then had the cables pop out of my eaves and plugged into the cameras.

I am looking at changing up my system a little bit and I would love to be able to have POE devices that do not need to be routed directly to my POE switch or router because I cannot cable through the floor to the basement of my house.

I am wondering if there is any device that can do the following:
Obtain internet connectivity via WiFi
Let me plug in a POE device via cat6 cable to provide power+internet to the device.

Basically, instead of a switch that is plugged into my router, is there any type of poe device that can give internet and power to a device without having to be connected directly via cable to my router?

I see a lot of devices that are meant to be WiFi hotspots that you connect via poe to your router to give WiFi to an area, but I am kind of looking for the opposite of that device... something that takes WiFi and lets me use it as a device to power POE devices.

Please let me know if you guys think of anything, I really appreciate it!
Derek

Hello!

I am wondering if anyone has any input or direction on POE devices.

Long story:

I have 4 video cameras (hikvision 3MP dome/bullet cameras) and they are powered via POE cable and I have four cables run up my wall into my attic. I then had the cables pop out of my eaves and plugged into the cameras.

I am looking at changing up my system a little bit and I would love to be able to have POE devices that do not need to be routed directly to my POE switch or router because I cannot cable through the floor to the basement of my house.

I am wondering if there is any device that can do the following:
Obtain internet connectivity via WiFi
Let me plug in a POE device via cat6 cable to provide power+internet to the device.

Basically, instead of a switch that is plugged into my router, is there any type of poe device that can give internet and power to a device without having to be connected directly via cable to my router?

I see a lot of devices that are meant to be WiFi hotspots that you connect via poe to your router to give WiFi to an area, but I am kind of looking for the opposite of that device... something that takes WiFi and lets me use it as a device to power POE devices.

Please let me know if you guys think of anything, I really appreciate it!
Derek

Your challenge would be getting enough signal strength to your basement..

Even with a AP POE, in repeater mode I do not think it will provide you with what you want..

I'd suggest at least running 1 network cable from router to AP POE and then your camera can connect of that. at least its only one cable.

I'm not sure something like that is really out there. You would have to use just a POE injector to get power to the camera from the outlet. But then you wold need a device like an AP or a Pi to share the wireless connection out a port to the POE injector. Keep in mind that this will also decrease maximum speed.

So in short you could probably do it with a combination of devices, but I don't think there is really a wireless POE injector. At least i haven't seen one, doesn't mean they don't exist. Also i agree that a large issue could be getting a solid signal to the basement without running a wire.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom