Printer Network Problem

Witterings

Solid State Member
I've got a printer plugged into my PC via a USB, there's another printer in the same room and both are hardwired into a switch and both work fine.

I used to be able to connect a laptop in another room via a TP Link TP-WPA4220 powerline wireless booster but realtively recently changed the Router to a TP-LINK Archer MR200 AC750.

I just tried re-setting the powerline extender and have set it up as a "clone" of the router in case that made any difference.

The message I'm getting on the laptop is access denied and if I try and search for available printers on another laptop it doesn't come up in the list.

I've checked my PC and I believe the main drive is set to share and the printer is also set to share ....... does anyone have any ideas what else it might be????

Is the laptop on the same subnet of the network?

e.g. 192.168.X.Y - the laptop and other PC's should both have the same X value.

Is the laptop on the same subnet of the network?

e.g. 192.168.X.Y - the laptop and other PC's should both have the same X value.

Yes they are .. the X value is the same for both .. the router is running DHCP if that helps, most of the things in the client list are identifiable including another printer which is a network printer plugged into the switch apart from 2 unknown's which I'm guessing one must be the printer I'm having a problem with.

I tried pinging both these unknown IP's but they both timed out ... unless for some reasons it's still listing / reserving for something that's no longer connected to the network but the printer I'm having the problem with isn't listed???

Are the printers on a static IP? if not change them to static and on PC flush DNS from CMD.

ipconfig /flushdns

then try and ping them and find them on printer and devices.

Have you tried rebooting printers? maybe NIC just needs a kick from the changes...

rulezero,
No not on a static ... I'll google and see if I can find out how to do that but wll try a quick re-boot 1st

Alternatively if the other printer that's plugged into the switch can be seen and works any idea if a USB to Ethernet adapter would work and is so I could plug it into the switch instead of the PC
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...7_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P1PAP6A6XDYR7RX6M9GZ

OR maybe I could get a print server
https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-re...yStar=five_star&showViewpoints=0&pageNumber=1

I just tried a network troubleshooter from the machine I#m trying to print from and it threw up
"Your DNS server might be unavailable" ???

Are the printers on a static IP? if not change them to static and on PC flush DNS from CMD.

ipconfig /flushdns

then try and ping them and find them on printer and devices.

Have you tried rebooting printers? maybe NIC just needs a kick from the changes...

The printer is connected to the PC via USB, according to his original post.

I just tried a network troubleshooter from the machine I#m trying to print from and it threw up
"Your DNS server might be unavailable" ???

What is the OS on each machine? They both need to be in the same workgroup. Next you need to make sure that they both are set to either "Home" or "Work" networks. I've also seen funny things with time so if the clock is way off on one machine it seems to affect sharing sometimes.

Once those items are verified, try to ping the computer with the printer connected from the computer you're trying to print from.

The next thing would be (on the PC with the printer connected via USB) under "Printer Properties" and the "Sharing" tab. Make sure sharing is turned on and the Share Name is set to something simple, descriptive, and unique.

Then on the machine you're trying to print from, go into the "Printer Properties" and look under the "Ports" tab. You should have the address of the other machine listed there (IE: \\PCNAME\PRINTERSHARENAME). If it's using an IP address instead (IE: \\192.168.1.108\PRINTERSHARENAME) then this is probably why you can't print. Unless the machine sharing the printer has a static IP address, it's IP probably changed. You would need to add the correct port to fix the issue.

The printer is connected to the PC via USB, according to his original post.

What is the OS on each machine? They both need to be in the same workgroup. Next you need to make sure that they both are set to either "Home" or "Work" networks. I've also seen funny things with time so if the clock is way off on one machine it seems to affect sharing sometimes.

Once those items are verified, try to ping the computer with the printer connected from the computer you're trying to print from.

The next thing would be (on the PC with the printer connected via USB) under "Printer Properties" and the "Sharing" tab. Make sure sharing is turned on and the Share Name is set to something simple, descriptive, and unique.

Then on the machine you're trying to print from, go into the "Printer Properties" and look under the "Ports" tab. You should have the address of the other machine listed there (IE: \\PCNAME\PRINTERSHARENAME). If it's using an IP address instead (IE: \\192.168.1.108\PRINTERSHARENAME) then this is probably why you can't print. Unless the machine sharing the printer has a static IP address, it's IP probably changed. You would need to add the correct port to fix the issue.

His issue is with the network printer not USB, from my understanding

His issue is with the network printer not USB, from my understanding

No it's a USB printer ... not a network printer, if I had of known the difference when I bought it I'd have bought a network one instead :eek:

MidnightShadow,
The PC with the printer attached is Win 7 and the ones I'm trying to print from ... one's 8.1 and one's 10 .... I'll read / work through all the other bits you suggested ... went and tried some of this before finishing typing and on one of them added it to the home group and it's working now :)
Daughter who needs it for printing homework has gone ZZZZ's but an guessing it's the same issue so will try it with hers tomorrow.

Assuming it's fixed a big thank you to everyone's input .. really helpful and very much appreciated!!!!!

No it's a USB printer ... not a network printer, if I had of known the difference when I bought it I'd have bought a network one instead :eek:

MidnightShadow,
The PC with the printer attached is Win 7 and the ones I'm trying to print from ... one's 8.1 and one's 10 .... I'll read / work through all the other bits you suggested ... went and tried some of this before finishing typing and on one of them added it to the home group and it's working now :)
Daughter who needs it for printing homework has gone ZZZZ's but an guessing it's the same issue so will try it with hers tomorrow.

Assuming it's fixed a big thank you to everyone's input .. really helpful and very much appreciated!!!!!

Glad to help! The Homegroup, specifically, is where I've seen the time cause an issue before and that's why I mentioned that. If one computer is set to Central Time and one to Eastern, for some reasons Homegroup freaks out and won't connect properly.

Let us know if you need anything else and how it turns out!

Back
Top Bottom