Powerline Adaptors?

kmce25

Beta member
So my internet is currently set up, as a modem in the living room which is hooked up to a router in the games room by ethernet. But I am getting steam link for the bedroom and rather than running another ethernet cable from the pc room (router) into the bedroom I was thinking I could use the powerline adaptors, but will they work if i hook one up to the modem while the modem is hooked up to the router.

Only thing I'll add is if you're going to use the connection for gaming, the powerline adapters aren't super great for latency. It'll vary depending on your house, but even wifi will nearly always be better IMO.

mm I will be using it for games, (steam link) however i wont be playing online/multiplayer games, ie csgo, I will prob just be using it for single player etc games. I wonder if it would be ok for that.

I can run another Ethernet cable between the pc room and bedroom, but I dont want to need to drill more holes in the walls :lol:

Wired is always your best bet. A few things to note with the powerline adapters, though. First and foremost, don't plug it into a surge protector. They filter the signal that you're trying to send through the power lines and will reduce the efficiency of the signal if not completely cut the signal out altogether.

Second, the older houses with older wiring will have more trouble with powerline adapters in many cases. Additionally, houses that are wired with built-in surge protection may see issues using these as well.

Finally, as SOULphIRE already said, latency can be an issue, but this will depend on the quality of the connection between the two adapters. Also, yes, you need to connect it to the router and not the modem.

Back
Top Bottom