is port forwarding only used when accessing machines on a LAN from the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
hello,

is port forwarding only used when accessing machines on a LAN from the internet.
what i mean to ask is, is there any use of port forwarding on a local area network

Port forwarding is a consumer way of hosting a server behind a NAT device like a home router. Most consumer are only giving 1 IP from the ISP, so the outside world can only distinguish this IP while it can not distinguish the host IP behind the NAT router. So when a home user want to serve a game or host a website, most likely they will use port forwarding to tell the router to direct that particular port when it is requested to the correct IP address of the server inside the LAN.

That are also other ways, if you have multiple IP addresses from your ISP, you can use static NAT (1:1 NAT) or dynamic NAT (pool of addresses to be used) or you can simply put the sever in the DMZ exposing it to the Internet giving it a public IP from the ISP.

Port forwarding has no use on a local area network (LAN) simply because there isn't any NAT device and the host's IP are all privately unique. Mostly it is firewall that do the job in the LAN, rather it be a router firewall filtering port or the software on the server, however these port still need to be open if you use a router firewall or any firewall. But it is not the same as port forwarding.

Are you looking to access something behind the router from the internet? or did you just see the option for port forwarding on your router's menu?

thanks for the replies,

i have got a LAN (not connected to the external world) with 3 devices. a laptop, philips streamium 5500, and a nokia N95.
they are all upnp enabled. i am trying to see the philips streamium rom the n95 through port 1900 but i cant see it.

i was told by the philips support guy that i needed to activate port forwarding on the router????

could there be a firewall on the philips streamium device which is preventig me from seeing it.

when you says ports are open or closed, is this done by a firewall or would this be done be within the firmware code of the device?

i guess firewalls can function within the LAN.

thanks for the reply,

no, i have not spoken to nokia.

i think there is some problem with the philips streamium, hidden firewall perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom