ping, but no http, ftp, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJDarknez

Baseband Member
OK, running into a problem here.

The interwebs decided to stop working on my mother's computer the other day. So of course I have to look into it, being the family's resident expert on such things.

But this has got me kinda stumped.

According to her, one of her dogs was screwing around underneath the desk when a "noise" happened, and the internet went out. But only on hers. All other PC's around the house are fine.

So I replaced the cable. Same problem though. I can use ping, but not ftp, http, or anything else to connect. I can't even get through to the router. I don't see anything in Windows that would be preventing access, so I'm thinking maybe it's the on-board NIC.

It's a kind of cheap, generic pc, so I don't know what kind of board it's running. I don't want to go out and spend more money than I (she) have to. Could it be that that the MOBO's interhighway jack is bad?

could be. when you plug in the cable do 2 lights light up on the ethernet jack? also try a NIC card and see if that changes it.

If you can get your hands on an USB to Cat5e adapter you would be well on your way also. Just for testing purposes.
If the lights however are coming on then I would point my finger at a software issue.

Cheers,

~ Tkey

Recent thread had the same problem, turned out to be the internet settings had the security settings set to high, which wasn't letting anything but pings go.
Check and make sure (if you're using IE) that your security setting is on medium.

Recent thread had the same problem, turned out to be the internet settings had the security settings set to high, which wasn't letting anything but pings go.
Check and make sure (if you're using IE) that your security setting is on medium.

Yeah, check your firewall settings. Microsoft put out a patch recently that kicked most of Verizon DSL customer's firewall settings to high. When your firewall settings are to high, you can ping, but can't access the very web site you just successfully pinged.

If you're running zone alarm or something, this may be the problem. Clock them back to medium and see what happens.

I'm on Comcast, FWIW (probably wouldn't be related to the VZ problem).

I do have ZA running on that PC, but all the settings are correct. Same with IE7's settings. (un)Fortunately, she's not very adept at computing, so wouldn't even know how to change those settings, even accidentally.

And I do have both green and orange LED's coming on at the jack, but the orange activity light never flashes. I may have a USB-RJ45 adapter sitting around, so I'll have to try that one out.

Thanks much.

I'm on Comcast, FWIW (probably wouldn't be related to the VZ problem).

I do have ZA running on that PC, but all the settings are correct. Same with IE7's settings. (un)Fortunately, she's not very adept at computing, so wouldn't even know how to change those settings, even accidentally.

And I do have both green and orange LED's coming on at the jack, but the orange activity light never flashes. I may have a USB-RJ45 adapter sitting around, so I'll have to try that one out.

Thanks much.

Now did you personally check the settings? Don't worry about her accidentally changing anything. Microsoft's recent patch released July 8th automatically kicks certain providers firewalls on high settings even without you knowing. My dad has no clue how to even open zone alarm, yet his settings were changed. (Verizon DSL, Zone Alarm)

Did you personally check the settings afterwards? Or did you see the settings a while back and just assume they're the same? I'm harking on this with you cause I just went through the same thing only to find out it was the firewall...

Let me know what you find.

Now did you personally check the settings? Don't worry about her accidentally changing anything. Microsoft's recent patch released July 8th automatically kicks certain providers firewalls on high settings even without you knowing. My dad has no clue how to even open zone alarm, yet his settings were changed. (Verizon DSL, Zone Alarm)

Did you personally check the settings afterwards? Or did you see the settings a while back and just assume they're the same? I'm harking on this with you cause I just went through the same thing only to find out it was the firewall...

Let me know what you find.

Personally checked it out, but I'll have to do it again just to be **** sure.

Here's something else that's weird. The Linksys router that it (and everything else) is hooked up to is set up for DHCP (as is probably 95% of the worlds). The PC grabs a STRANGE ip number, definitely not from the router, that resolves to IANA (169.254.254.230). It's almost as if the PC is bypassing the router and going directly to....something.

that IP is an APIPA address. It's what Windows will address itself when a DHCP server fails to issue an IP. It's meant to be used to plug two or more computers together without DHCP servers (ie connecting via a crossover cable).

Check to make sure that your computer has the DHCP client service running.
Try rebooting the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom