"Piggy-backing" routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehgit

In Runtime
So, I have Uverse and am having issues with their routers' consistency. After numerous visits that yielded no solutions ( the details at this point are irrelevant), I finally convinced them to send me another router that I can piggy-back off of the existing one. The uverse router is wirelessG, they sent me a Linksys E1000, which is wirelessN. My question is: How do I connect the second router and then configure it to work specifically with the wireless devices in my home. I would think that I would just need to connect the new router to the original via cat5 and then configure. Do i need to change some of the settings in the original router so that it accepts the secondary one? Can I just plug it in and sync it with the WPS button? I just need a push in the right direction and any help, as always, is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

hi!
i've tried this before, albeit with an ADSL router and a cable one lol, i'm no networking expert but its quite difficult to do and some routers just wont, at least mine didnt

all i remember is that it was a pain in the arse, and you had to turn off DHCP and configure it all manually. it opens up more problems than it does solutions lol

but bump! i'd like to know more too

i had this working a few times, but i never was able to do it with automatic IP, always assigned manually the IP adresses.
For start lets make sure that both routers are in the same subnet network

your linksys by defoult shuld be 192.168.1.1 and chances are the other one as well, so change one to 192.168.1.2 then turn off DHPC config in seccond router.

Personally i assigned the computers i wanted connected a manual IP starting from 10 going up as many computers as you have, basicly the funtion of a DHCP server, and as defoult gateway manually select the IP of the first router (the one that has internet) and give it a free dns setting as 4.2.2.4 and 4.2.2.2

the routers could be connected LAN to LAN if im not mistaken and that is all you need (last time i did this was almost a year ago so hopefully im not missing anything)

as a test, go to cmd and ping router connected to internet wile connected to the wifi of the second router.

note that i use 2 different wireless names and i manually connect to the one i want for each computer. i dont know how to make it any other way for it to choose on its own or have same name, sry!

Thanks for the input. I will try it your way and see how it works. It sounds as though it will...pretty straight forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom