noob networking question

madhatter4

Beta member
I currently have my PC hardwired to a netgear router. There are no more available ports on the router and I would like to hook up my Playstation 4 to the internet hardwired. Could I use a network switch like this NETGEAR ProSAFE 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch. NETGEAR 5 Port 10/100 Business-Class Desktop Switch - Lifetime Warranty (FS105) - Newegg.com

Bear in mind I know very little about networking. Could I just connect the main ethernet cable to this switch and then run ethernet cables from the switch to the PS4 and PC without having to go into all sorts of network settings?

Thanks for the help

I currently have my PC hardwired to a netgear router. There are no more available ports on the router and I would like to hook up my Playstation 4 to the internet hardwired. Could I use a network switch like this NETGEAR ProSAFE 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch. NETGEAR 5 Port 10/100 Business-Class Desktop Switch - Lifetime Warranty (FS105) - Newegg.com

Bear in mind I know very little about networking. Could I just connect the main ethernet cable to this switch and then run ethernet cables from the switch to the PS4 and PC without having to go into all sorts of network settings?

Thanks for the help

You got it. Just run a jumper from a LAN port on the router to a LAN port on the switch, and then plug in your other device(s) into the switch.

Try to keep it simple and number your Configuration . I.E.: Port One on you Router to the Switch and maybe keep in mind future proofing. Maybe consider something like an 8 Port Switch if you have the Money.

Get a gigabit switch. Period. A gigabit switch will run you about thirty buck and will process it's queue far faster than a fast-eth. It really doesn't matter which one you buy, as unmanaged switches are nearly impossible to kill. I like Trendnet, Netgear, and TP Link for unmanaged. Also, remember bits to bytes when you are consider fast eth vs gig. Fast eth (100Mbps) can only download at 12.5MB/s, so if you try to serve a movie from your PC or server, you waste a ton of queue time for the switch.

I am not sure why you must have your PS4 hard wired?
Do you run a Gigabit line to your house?

Basic Wireless G technology is 54Mbps which is more then sufficient more MANY home connections.

You dont need a gigabit line to benefit from a gigabit switch. Gig switches have speeds closer to wire-speed and also send to have a larger queue, which means less packets are dropped on an fully loaded line. Further, one can easily use up 54Mbps with two simultaneous instances of Netflix while torrenting, as each demands will default to the highest quality/performance it can get from the network.

Back
Top Bottom