New TP Link switch slows internet down

Runfox

In Runtime
Hello all, I have Spectrum internet, cable modem, goes to router/ wifi/ cat 5 cables through the house to switch, back to my computer. We have 100 downloads, 10 uploads. With this setup, I got 80 -90 download speed at my computer no problems. Wifi had problems so they switched with a new router/wifi. Wifi is 100+, internet is 110 download so that's good.

The problem I have now with the new router with my new TP-link switch is slowing my internet down to about 20 download speed. When I connect my computer to the router directly, I get a full 110 speed. When I connect like I always did before, through my switch, I get the full speed for about 20 minutes. Then it slows down to 20.I thought my old switch was bad, so I bought the new TP-link. I just can not figure out why my signal slows down after about 20 minutes with the switch. The lights on the back of the router have green and amber lights. the amber lights I think mean slower speed. The cable coming in is green which is fast. When I connect the cable to my jaack , to my switch it is green for 20 minutes thengoes to amber as my signal slows down.

I called the cable company and they switched my routers channel, thinking that might help but no luck. The problem has to be with my side , and all i have between the router and my computer is a switch and cable. Our house is only 2 years old with new cables and all so I cant believe there is any problem there.

Everything would be nice if could somehow find out what 20 download speed and 110 dowload speed are, etc.
This is something new that older people like me don't understand. Please explain what these things are.
It would be even better if you referred to the definition or source of such a new unit of measure.

ok sorry for my lack of detail. I use OOKLA speed test, which recognizes me as a spectrum customer and connects locally for a speed test. My cable company supplies us with an internet speed of, 100 mb download, 10 mb upload. Before the router was replaced, my internet speeds were about 80 -90 download, 10 uploads. With my computer connected directly to the new router I get 110 down, 10 up. When I connect the router to my house, going through the cable, though the switch to my wife's computer, I can get the full 110 download speed. Then about 20 minutes later it slows down to about 20 -30 MBS download. The new router is an ARRIS TR4400. The new switch is a TP-Link 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch. I looked through the owners manual, but could not see anything that I could understand that would casue this.

ok sorry for my lack of detail. I use OOKLA speed test, which recognizes me as a spectrum customer and connects locally for a speed test. My cable company supplies us with an internet speed of, 100 mb download, 10 mb upload. Before the router was replaced, my internet speeds were about 80 -90 download, 10 uploads. With my computer connected directly to the new router I get 110 down, 10 up. When I connect the router to my house, going through the cable, though the switch to my wife's computer, I can get the full 110 download speed. Then about 20 minutes later it slows down to about 20 -30 MBS download. The new router is an ARRIS TR4400. The new switch is a TP-Link 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch. I looked through the owners manual, but could not see anything that I could understand that would casue this.

they all Gigbit ports, so shouldn't be an issue on that front.

switch isnt config to half duplex? (I doubt as it would be an instant performance hit but nice to cross off list)

Have you played with the config on any of the devices? maybe QoS?

One more item of information, a list of attached clients from the router software, wireless: two iPhones, one iwatch, one iPad, 5 wireless echo devices, wired to the router, smart TV, Apple TV, and wired to switch two computers. I am wondering if the router is seeing this list and automatically slowing down the connection to the switch as traffic management ??

One more item of information, a list of attached clients from the router software, wireless: two iPhones, one iwatch, one iPad, 5 wireless echo devices, wired to the router, smart TV, Apple TV, and wired to switch two computers. I am wondering if the router is seeing this list and automatically slowing down the connection to the switch as traffic management ??

possible, check manual for "QoS" or "quality of service" and see if that is configured on the switch or any other type of traffic mgmt features.

what is the exact switch make and model?

Switch TP-link straight out of the box, I have not done anything with Qo5, I don't really know how to access the switch software, I have access to the Arris router software, but I don't see anything there that I can figure out to cause this.

Back
Top Bottom