New BOX, wont connect to the net! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

asmodous

Solid State Member
ok, so ive spent the better part of 8 hours trying to get this thing to work and im stuck

from the start... I built my first computer today from Parts from new egg, went together great... 3.2 intel, 1 gig ram, raptor drives, Abit duramax mobo ect. I got it built and running in under three hours, zero problems... until i go to plug it into the net

i was running Ethernet into the jack on the mobo, straight from my router(said it was connected in the task bar but IE and all other programs couldnt get on the Internet, ping to the router came back with 100% failure) next i hook it up right to the cable modem ( task bar icon says its connected, but again nothing will sign on line)
-I tested it from the router and the cable modem with my old laptop and it connected perfect.

so now i say to myself... maybe my mobo either net jack is broken or something, so i go out and buy a wireless desktop adapter to try bypassing the mobos onboard network crap.

So now, the wireless card connects at 80% to the router, it says its a "very strong connection" yet when i ping the router i come back with nothing, and again... IE nor any other program can access the net.

:( so i call Dlink tech support, after going through 2 driver updates ect, and finally finding someone their who speaks English we STILL cant get the thing working.

Its all on auto detect IP and DNS (like all the other computers on my network here that work fine)

im very stuck here, both the hard wire either net and brand new wireless adapter wont connect! they wont ping the router but they do say their connected to a very good signal strength. The wireless card is saying it has the IP 169.254.19.28 is that means anything to anyone.
Im using both D-link router and wireless adapter, and the mobo is a 2 day old abit AA8 duraMAX

so i hope this post makes sense, its late and im tired and pissed off that i cant figure this out, If anyone can help me out or knows something that i may have overlooked please let me know! heck ill paypal ya some cash for your time

thanks
-a very frustrated chuck

which service pack do you have? try putting http://169.254.19.1 into your browser and tell me what you get.

the 169.254.19.28 you are getting might be an automatic private ip address, which is not assigned by the DHCP. tell me the exact model number of your router.

Try powering down machine unplugging cable modem for 1 minute plug back in then power machine back up. From what I have been told there is a "file" in most cable modems that hold info if switing MAC address the modem has to be powered down to erase "file" then started back up. The first device to connect to the modem with write its info to the "file". Maybe im full of it...someone correct me if im wrong.

169.254.x.x is the Windows default for no connection available.
The first thing you should try is a proper power cycle to your network. Take the power source out of the modem and router, and restart your computer. Plug the modem in first, making sure you get an online light or cable light on solid before plugging in the router, otheriwse it will try to pull a signal from a device that is offline, and you will not connect.
Once the cable/online light is on solid, power up the router. Once it is connected, run the ipconfig commmand from the command prompt and you should see an 192.168.x.x address, if you see the 169.254.x.x, try the release and renew command:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
it should give you the network address of 192.168.x.x
If it says unable to contact dhcp server, or media disconnected, call your ISP, and they can have a tech walk you through how to fix it.
If it says unable to renew ip address, try the next steps.
Check your drivers and re-install the tcp/ip protocols to make sure they are, in fact, correct. Then go to the network connections and perform a repair on the lac.
Also, make sure you have the windows firewall down. If you still cannot get that IP to come up, call your ISP and they can get the IP range to come in.

~ Fawks

evelmunkey said:
From what I have been told there is a "file" in most cable modems that hold info if switing MAC address the modem has to be powered down to erase "file" then started back up. The first device to connect to the modem with write its info to the "file". Maybe im full of it...someone correct me if im wrong.

That is correct. It's a cache file that sits in the modem and in the OS as well. It holds all information relevant to the modem's ability to connect. And on some modems, it is "configurable" ;)

~ Fawks

Hi asmodous,

I think my son-in-law has a very similar problem. He is running Windows XP with Service Pack 2. He has an ADSL connection to the Internet using a ZyXel ADSL USB modem. He can connect most of the time, but sometimes he gets to actually see a web page and sometimes it just gives an error page. But he can never enter anything into a web page (forms, passwords, etc.) without it producing an error message.

I strongly suspect that this is a Service Pack 2 problem. Microsoft like to release service packs, but it's very often three steps forward and two steps back. In this case it might be three steps back.

Can you confirm that you are running XP with Service Pack 2 (look in Control Panel and System)?

If you can try your modem on a PC that does not have SP2 .... maybe this will confirm it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom