networking issues between vista and 7

seanc79

Beta member
I am trying to get a windows vista desktop and 7 laptop networked I had them networked at one point with the laptop sharing a printer off the vista both have the same workgroup id and discovery is turned on on both but the only thing aether of them can see in the network device screen is them self and my router. The problem started when the laptop stopped showing the printer as online

did you check their ip addresses? they need to be in the same subnet. usually 192.168.0.x

can they ping each other?

is windows firewall preventing access? disable firewall to confirm.

after this, i would check sharing security.

they are both on the same subnet mask and i had temporally disabled the security on both computers any they still can not see each other and i am not able to ping it aether on a trace it get an error saying can not connect or can find it don't remember the exact wording

it sounds like you're not on the same network or a security software is blocking pings.

open control panel > network connections on both and confirm ip settings. are you using dhcp or static?

if not using static, try setting static addresses.

if still doesnt ping,

disable windows firewalls and other security software temporairly and try again.

Back
Top Bottom