Networking Connection Drops at 6pm everyday.. Please Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfelpaseo

Beta member
Hi~ I have a problem with network connection and I need your help. It's a long post and I appreciate your time.

I recently hired someone for networking setup for my office. I have a Dell 2800 Server - RAID 1 config- with Windows 2003 small business server and 4 workstation computers, Dell Optiplex GX280, with Windows XP.

My problem is that the network connection drops out at a certain time of the day - around 5-7pm - and I have to restart the computer or relogin, then it starts working again. Everything else works fine including internet except the conection to the server data. The connection simply drops and computer freezes when it tries to retrieve a data from server after certain time of the day - at around 6pm. Sometimes it becomes extremely slow - it may take upto 5-10 minutes to retrieve a data, but most times it simple freezes and does nothing. Then I go to "my entire network" and try to open the server, then after about 5-10 minutes delay with hour glass, it asks for a username and password. If I enter the same username/password as the workstation that I am in, then it says it has been used already or it has been tried already. Then I would enter the username/password for another workstation although the workstation I am in is not that one. Then it would connect to the server and the network connection resumes. However, most time, I cannot go this far because when I click on the server icon, it just freezes.

According to the guy who set up the network, he's never seen this problem before, and he doesn't seem to know why. He has tried to fix it, but no solusion so far - over 6 months now. I just had to relogin or restart, but this means sometimes I loose a data because I had to close a program before I was able to save it.

Thank you very much for reading this long post, but I needed some help from someone who had the same problem before or who is very knowlegabe about computer/networking and knows how to fix it. I don't know much about computer, even less about networking. Thank you.

Andrew.

My guess would be that there is something happening on the network at that time everyday, and if you restart, it ends that process which is why the network will start working again. Do you have any automated backups or anything??

Hi Ethereal_Dragon,

Thank you for your comment. As far as I know, I do not have any automated backup. I do it manually whenever I need to with an external hard drive. But, I will confirm with the guy who set up the network if he set up any kind of automated process.

I only need to restart or relogin to the workstation computer. I do not restart/relogin to the server. Would restarting the workstation stop the automated process in the server if there was a automated process set up?

If there was no automated process set up, what other possible causes would there be?

By the way, even when the network connection fails from workstations, if I open the data file in the server, I can still access it. Also, out of the 4 workstations, one or two would still work while the others may freeze upon accessing the server data. Hope this helps in understanding more about my situation.

Thanks,

Andrew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom