Need help defining an internet connectivity issue.

Nopxah

Beta member
Good day Tech Forums,

This will be my first posting on this forum, I'd like to begin by thanking you for taking the time to read my question.

In a nut shell, I'd like to try to identify and understand possibly a third factor in my internet connection. To explain my current situation, I am currently using a wireless router and modem combination with a few things (laptop and Xbox) connected through Ethernet. My Desktop (which I am experiencing issues with) is connected via wi-fi using a D-Link N-300 wifi-adaptor plugged into a sufficient USB port. The distance to my router is only about 25 feet and my ISP doesn't exceed 70 mb/s so the N300 should more than suffice.

Now to the meat of the issue. What I fundamentally don't understand (forgive my naivety) is how can I (according to Windows) be fully connected (5 hard throbbing bars) to my router. (Which should mean that my internet modem and my desktop computer should be flawlessly connected for the intents and purposes of delivering up to 300 mb/s of data between the two devices.) When my ISP is FOR SURE flooding in that good internet content steadily (as evidence from my wired in devices) and still be unable to get a reliable connection on the desktop? This literally makes no sense in my horribly logical mind. If the connection was faulted, wouldn't that be reflected by my connection? Windows says my signal strength is 90%. For example if I had lead lined walls or strategically planned EMP grenades going off it would show me on my 5 bar connection graphic. I know this isn't a fundamental connection issue because the internet DOES work on the Desktop, only it's EXTREMELY intermittent and very slow. Often I even get the little yellow warning triangle that aggravatingly tells me 'no internet connection' when 60cm away I am browsing my iPad with no issue.

The only theory I can come up with is that the signal used to identify device connection is far more stable than the signal used to deliver data. I don't know much about radio frequencies and all that so again forgive my naivety.

Thanks again!

Nop

Have you tested the speed with a wired connection. If this works better then the issue is obviously with your wireless connectivity and not your providers speed. It could be the wireless security encryption method used by the router you could maybe adjust this setting by logging in to the router.

The only theory I can come up with is that the signal used to identify device connection is far more stable than the signal used to deliver data. I don't know much about radio frequencies and all that so again forgive my naivety.

You're not that far off, actually. I deal with telecoms and one of the things I've learned is that signal strength and signal quality are two different things. The bars you're seeing only represent one out of several different metrics and all it tells you is that the signal is reaching the adapter at sufficient strength - it says nothing about interference or quality. Signal strength only drops with distance or with the signal physically being blocked or impeded by something. It won't tell you if you're getting interference. There are ways of measuring interference but the typical consumer wireless adapter doesn't have anything like that.

There are a million things that could be affecting your wireless performance, so it's hard to narrow it down. Looking at your router, I do see that it only operates on the 2.4 GHz band, which is the most commonly used frequency for wireless devices, so interference is a possibility. Cordless phones, microwave ovens, neighbors' wifi, bluetooth, and really most wireless devices are all at 2.4 GHz. Without knowing more, I can't say that this is the cause of your issues, but it's definitely something worth looking at.

The distance to my router is only about 25 feet and my ISP doesn't exceed 70 mb/s so the N300 should more than suffice.

Read your sentence carefully. You say your ISP doesnt exceed 70mb/s and the N300 can do, in theory, 300Mb/s. You see the issue? Your ISP cant handle the connection.

Unless of course you mean your ISP does 70Mb/s and not 70mb/s. Yes there is a difference and it is massive.

Next would be what Router are you using? Just cause the desktop can receive up to 300Mb/s using the device connected does not mean that your WiFi router can push that amount to it.

You say you have a D link N300 connected by USB to your desktop.

First off I have NEVER had any luck with wifi adaptors using USB.

Second, if your desk top is less then 10 years old it should have a either port, if now then get a either addon card that goes inside the compter and use a wired connection or get a wifi card that does the same.

You will have MUCH better results.

Back
Top Bottom