mixed network

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj2003

Daemon Poster
ive got a server and two comps both networked to it. one via cable the other wireless. problem is the wireless one doesnt work, and my mates whose doin a cisco course cant figure out how to set it up. i want the server to basically act as a router with a hard drive and overnet lol. but though it cheaper to use my old comp as a server rather than buyin for for bout 60 quid.bu now its not workin im thinkin i might have to. does any1 else have this same kinda setup that works? if so how u got it configured? if i cant get this workin im lookin a the belkin router 54meg one. my wireless is D-link 22meg its a b so i know the router is compatable but i dunno if itll run at the 22meg speed or just the 11 with the router not havin the software?

Ok, im a little confused on your setup but we can still make this happen.

First of all, your D-link WiFi card will operate at 11mbps (The 22mbps is proprietary to D-link so the belkin AP won't know how to transmit the 22mbps, if you want to take advantage of that you need a D-link Access Point).

OK, lets get a few things straightened out now. Can you access the server from the laptop?

Can you ping each other?

If not, make sure you have your wireless AP setup properly AND that it is not conflicting with your server.

What server OS are you using?

Get back with us and we'll see what we can do.

ok i have my server with my modem. the server is connected to one computer through a wire and that is workin fine i can acess files and get on the net through it. it can ping the server and the server can ping it, i think, it was my mate that was tryin to set it up so im not too sure everythin that he's tried. but i know the other main comp that is wireless cant get on the net and i dont think they ping each other but i know with the software that came with them that they have send data between. atm i dont have a laptop im hoping to buy one with a wireless card in it in the next few months and i just want it to join to the network as soon as i get it. hope that makes abit more sence :)

ok ive beein fiddling with it. ive put sp1a on the one that cant get on the internet. and my server is sayin its received 25000 bytes but sent none and the other com pis sayiniot send ust 26 but the amount its receivin is goin up :S i dont get it.

still playin and found that its not got the tcp/ip on the server well thats what it says wen i try to repair. its not in the properties under the general tab like it is on the other comp.

i dont have a router. i would like to get my netowork setup without one simply cos i cant afford to buy one. i just wanna use my server as a router.

If you can list the following information, we can have a solution that will be specific to your situation.

What operating system do you have? (Windows 98, 2000, XP etc.)
What kind of internet connection do you have? (Dial UP, Broadband)

How will you be networking your PC's? (HUB, Router etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom