Local Area Connection - Windows XP - Limited or no connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. tech

In Runtime
Hey there,

I installed my new DSL modem a few days ago which didn't end up working because of a phone line reason.

Anyway, when I installed it I had to connect to my PC via a network (lan) cable. The port I connected it to is called Local Area Connection and is now disabled.

I have two network ports (onboard and card).

Anyhoo, ever since I installed the modem, my other network conenction that shares my dialup internet and files (Local Area Connection 4) is now giving me a Limited or no connectivity error message. So are all the PCs it's networked to so I can't share my files or internet...

I tried reinstalling the driver and had no luck... I also tried repairing the connection and it said it failed.

I'm not an expert but my guess is that I need to change the IP Addresses in the Internet Protocal (TCP/IP) so that it doesn't get mixed up... if this is correct what would I need to change them to?

Thanks

Ben :cool:

well for one if u r receiving the 169.x.x.x address that means that the computer is not getting an ip address. 169 is APIPA(windows for no legit ip address) start by making sure that all cables are connected and that there is no problems on the ISP end.(i.e. call them)
also make sure that if u r not assigned a static ip address that ur ip address is set to "Obtain an IP address automatically from DNS" in the TCP/IP properties box of ur connection.
try these and reply.

can you explain or diagram how your machines are connected to each other?
This is important in helping you find a solution.
You said your router is disabled(off), so I'm guessing your not connecting to the internet with these machines. if you are using the router through the DSL, you need to have the PPOE connection setting turned on and then you can use the routing function with DHCP to send IPs to the other machines.
if you need more info, let us know...
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom