Limited or No Connection (XP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

star_topology

In Runtime
I'm re-posting this from the Windows OS Thread, I figured this would be a more fitting thread. Duh. :p

I'm receiving a TCP/IP connection error that tells me I have a "Limited or No Connection."

This network used DHCP through DNS, of which I have tried a DHCP-assigned address and a static IP address, both of which still result in the same error.

The few responses/help links I've received so far basically tell me to Ping and Release/Renew the IP addresses, but nothing after that.
I can ping the DHCP server from the computer, but when I release/renew, it gives me an error claiming it can't see the DHCP server. Odd.

I may just have to change the cable/connection to another switch. Any other thoughts?

do you have wins turned on? we have an issue in our network with wins resolution that cause issue on the DHCP and DNS side of things...

WINS is necessary and enabled in order for the computer to access two domains. I've tried turning it off and making changes here and there, but no dice. I've attached a screenshot of a failed attempt at an ipconfig/renew.
There is another computer (an iMAC) in the room that is getting an internet connection with no problems. But MACs don't count as computers. :p

You need to look for bad entries in WINS and DNS. Try doing an ipconfig /flushdns
nbtstat -RR

see if that helps.
do a screen print of "ipconifg /all" so I can see that.

btw, MAC's are the way your computer talks to the network. Without one, you don't talk. have you done anything with duplicating your mac onto another machine?

Still no good? Also, I can assign a static IP address and it shows up in the IPconfig, but it gives me no activity.

By any chance is this a d-link router>?

I have had this problem before, it's a router problem. Problem fixed by resetting router. Than it comes back in another few days :/

You may need to rebuild tcp/ip stack

This command will rebuild the TCP/IP stack.
Start/run then type in the box:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

limited/no connection

This may seem far-fetched, but it is a possibility. I repair LAN connections and see this often. This could also be a hardware problem.

1) It can be the ethernet cord. Try replacing that if you have an extra.

2) The jack in the wall can be bad. I have had to replace numerous numbers of these.

3) The network card itself could be bad. I replaced one just last week for the same problem (of course this could also be just un-installing the old drivers and re-installing the new ones along with the TCP/IP protocol, etc)

Thanks for all the replies, I'm off work today, as I am at school. But when I go into work tomorrow, I'll try all of these things, starting with csamuels' link to the MS solution (regedit).

DJChris, it is not a DLink Router. It's all Cisco. Plus, there are about a hundred computers on the network, so I'm not sure that resetting the router would fix it.

Charles@pcfix, I'll give that a go if nothing else works. It looks like an important command, so it might work. :p

Nyper, I really don't think it's the cord, I've changed it out. Plus, the computer uses a 5 port switch for that aforementioned iMAC.
I've thought about the NIC being bad, and if none of the other possible solutions work, I'll probably replace it.

Once again, thanks for all the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom