ISP "Down"

Pezzy

In Runtime
Hi all.

I'm sure from time to time all ISP's will have some kind of trouble or other and their servers will go down, thus providing no Internet connectivity for their customers (I happen to have a DSL connection). And, my ISP is one of the "big" names in the business [ but I won't mention the name for now so as not to get a slanted or biased opinion ;) ].

When ISP's go down and customers lose their Internet connectivity, would you say there's an "average" amount of time they could possibly be down for? If you had to put a number on it, what would you say is an acceptable amount of time? An hour? Two hours? Many hours? Something as long as a day or more?

Whether it's for personal or business use (Internet connection), if there's server/ connection problems, does it being on the weekend have any bearing? Or should a "major", big-name company be right on this problem, regardless of whether it's the weekend or a weekday?

Thanks for any feedback.
Pez

Honestly it depends on the issue... Could be a hardware problem with a server, could be a cut line due to construction, could be any number of things that affect the timeframe.

Obviously businesses that have a contract with the ISP will have priority and they will attempt to get it fixed as soon as they can. But, most businesses that rely on internet like that (if they're big enough) will have multiple ISP's in case something happens to one of the connections.

Usually somebody is there all the time to try and resolve an issue - but like all things with troubleshooting PC's... it takes time to figure out what's wrong and then attempt to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom