Internet plan advice

Not tech savvy

Beta member
I've got a 10gb per month, I am planning to cancel my home broadband due to being unable to use it at new address because someone is already using the point in the wall to connect it, it also isn't a right fit for me anyway and will be moving again soon, I'm looking at either mobile broadband wireless broadband a dongle or even increasing my phone data, I want to do online gaming with the data and stream movies, what are your recommendations ?

Online gaming requires a low ping, cell service isn't very good for that. Lowest I've seen with full LTE is about 38 which in itself is fine but there will be lots of spikes due to load.

If mobile broadband uses 4G does that also cause issues or is it faster than the 4G used on the mobile phone
It's using the exact same signal that a phone does. I know global 4G is the equivalent to US 4G LTE, but same principal applies. You may speedtest and get a ping of anywhere between 20-50 (or higher with lower signal) but that's just for that second it does the test. Any load will grant a higher latency with duration, and load on the backend from other users will also cause the ping to spike. I've tried playing Rocket League with cell service before and it was a total joke.

You can get 4g deals, 4g has a pretty low latency. Better even 4g+,
See above.

I just got 27ms latency with 60mbps download speed. Not bad! I think below 50ms tends to be enough generally. Then again I'm not a gamer. Broadband users tends to be around 5-10ms.

Sorry for the OT but I'm quite excited about 5G. Maybe ppl will keep that as their home plan. Average latency will be 1ms.Impressive.

That's during the speedtest though. Long duration vs burst is key, and that's not taking into account background traffic on the towers that will cause spikes in latency during gaming. Cell service has come a long way but it still suffers what general wifi suffers from. Load spike.

Back
Top Bottom