Internet Goes Away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
I have a D-Link DLG4500 router. My ISP is Time Warner/Roadrunner. Standard cable modem.

As of late, my internet goes down pretty randomly. Sometimes I just have to wait a few minutes. Sometimes I just reset the modem. Never had to reset the Router.

Is this just a problem with my ISP, or is it something else?

Both are warm, but not hot. I did put a new cable in the WAN port. (modem to router)

I'll see if this works any better.

I would blame you ISP, mine does some odd things at times, sometimes for a few days straight, then goes away for a week or so.

@Office: Firmware for the modem? I can't get into the modem to do so. It's like locked. I did upgrade the firmware on my router maybe a month ago. No new firmware.

@Ghost: yeah, we had a few over the years, but they never happened this often. If this keeps happening, I'm calling roadrunner and have them sort it out.

Update: Lost connection again. Once I saw it go down, I automatically looked at the modem. Its "Cable" light was blinking, meaning it is connecting. Normally, it is constant. I'll call roadrunner and get this fixed.

Now that I've been talking about it to a friend, he gave very good advice. Get your own modem, not the crap that the ISP has.

He also says that you only need to call up your ISP, giving them the MAC number of the new modem, and your all set. Is this true? I do trust him, but I need a second confirmation.

You must try .. you will never know until you try your self ..
AND you said it is a crap !
You have my confirm .. replace it .
:)

I get this too, on virgin media ADSL in england, happened at my last place and this one. my modem seems fine, and i always push the power button.

IMO, i think my ISP just has problems when it comes to renewing my dynamic IP and it just goes mental, only a theory.

Now that I've been talking about it to a friend, he gave very good advice. Get your own modem, not the crap that the ISP has.

He also says that you only need to call up your ISP, giving them the MAC number of the new modem, and your all set. Is this true? I do trust him, but I need a second confirmation.

I believe so, but that's what I have heard too, not experienced as I use the ISPs modem.
Do you have frequent power surges?
We were considering buying a modem as our ISP charges $6 a month and paying 60-80 for a modem would pay for itself after 18 months or so. The problem would be that lighting hits near the house and has caused large amounts of damage before. It nearly always kills our modem at least 2-3 times a year. Buying multiple modems a year would not be worth it IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom