Internet Connection Problem, Every room has connection except mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

foskey

Baseband Member
To get the basics out of the way, we have a cable modem (road runner) and a router that runs 4 wires to different rooms around the house to connect to the internet. 3 of them work, and of course mine happened to stop working. I have been using a hub to split my connection between my computer and my xbox 360, and i've tried it on other computers around the house so it can't be the problem (i've tried switching around different wires in different ports but it still hasn't solved the problem). With using different wires, i either get a Local Area Connection cable has been disconnected pop-up (yes, while its plugged in) or a pop up saying that i have a limited or no internet connection (which = no connection whatsoever). How can i solve this problem? I've just reformatted so i really, really dont feel like spending 7 hours loading windows, but is there a way to reset all the connections on my computer or something of that matter to see if it picks up the old one? Any help appreciated, and thanks for the read :\

well, from a port that is working, i actually found a lengthy ethernet cable and connected it from the room to my room, and it gave me the crap about having a limited or no connection, so it must be my computer, how would i go about resetting or fixing my connection so that it will work :s

Make sure your Ethernet cable does not exceed 328 feet. Try using the other line that is working to test rather this might be with the cable or your NIC.

Test your network card with the ping loopback command (ping 127.0.0.1). Try moving your NIC to another PCI slot. Swap a known working NIC from another computer. Buy a new NIC.

my ethernet cable is like 10 ft. and my network card is integrated onto my motherboard, if the NIC is the problem are they cheap?

127.0.0.1 didn't respond at all

If the loopback address gets zilch you need to shop for a new NIC. A new NIC should be less than $20.

my ethernet cable is like 10 ft. and my network card is integrated onto my motherboard, if the NIC is the problem are they cheap?

127.0.0.1 didn't respond at all

They are quite cheap unless you are looking to buy a Gigabit NIC. Those 10/100 would cost you less than $10 online or even cheaper.

If the ping 127.0.0.1 return no reply, you have a bad NIC or TCP/IP stack. To fix the TCP/IP and make sure it's installed correctly, try running winsockxp or follow these direction http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299357

If that doesn't work, replace the NIC.

run a crossover cable to that hub or have the regular cable in the upload switch of the router with the switch pushed in. if you still have conflicting ip, unistall the nic driver and reboot the computer. it will automatically give it a new ip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom