How much can a wireless DSL signal go through and still have a good signal? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Org
True Techie

Default How much can a wireless DSL signal go through and still have a good signal?

I'm 3.8 miles away from a 300+ish foot tall grain bin that has (idk how big or what type of) a dsl tower on top of it. The distance isn't the issue it's the woods there's a 1/3 mile of thick woods the signal would have to go though.

My receiver will be mounted on an old 20foot tower I figure most trees are 80 foot tall and the angle from my receiver to the tower would be (at the point of the trees 3/4+ the way down the line of site) 100foot+ right?

image of tree's/LOS: http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1432/losv.png

Guess my question is how badly do trees hurt the signal?

Old 08-20-2009, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: How much can a wireless DSL signal go through and still have a good signal?

You really need to speak with the provider. Since you don't know what type of tower that is you have no clue what type of signal you are going to get. My father lives in the mountains and his ISP has a microwave tower at the top of a hill near his house which is in a valley. The dish is probably 2 miles away, and is situated in which you can almost see the tower from his house. He gets decent speeds and signal for being in the boonies.

Since you have no information on the type of equipment they use you really should call them and they should be able to test the signal strength from your house.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: How much can a wireless DSL signal go through and still have a good signal?

Also remember its a downward angle, so while it might be all trees between, the signal only has the last 100ft or so that that the trees are in the way. With most of the upper branches being thin.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Org
True Techie

I think it's a newer type of dsl tower (can't be more then 1-1.5 years old) and alot of people around use it (silly me though all those receivers where D-tv antennas...).

If I don't get a very good signal I guess I can always add a 15+foot 1inch steal pipe on top of my receiver tower.