How do I connect to my router via work or somewhere else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zer03s

Solid State Member
Hello - How do I connect to my router via work or somewhere else? How do I find out my router IP address? Thanks.

Can you provide for us:

1. The router name & model info
2. What it is you are trying to accomplish?
3. Do you have the manuals that came with it?

If this is a SOHO router like a Linksys, D-link, Belkin, etc, then they are generally plug and play with only minimal settings changes needed. Also, you will find the router's 'factory default' IP address within this documentation... Typically 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.0.1 depending on the vendor. If this is a Cisco router, you will be to build a configuration before it works.

We just need more info... you asked a VERY vanilla question.

EDIT: sorry, I initially mis-read your post.... Anyways, if you can set up a VPN connection back to your work, you should be able to access the router that way.

Ok so your at work and you want to connect to your pc at home? You want to have remote conrtol of your pc at home from anywhere?

sorry guys - the router is linksys wrt54gs. Basically, im trying to set up my Mom's wireless network at her new place and I wanted to set up her router where I can be able to admin her network from my house. I've done basic set up already on her wireless network and now I'm ready to configure her router so I can manage it from my house. Please help.

I don't think that particular router support remote management, you should double check. You can use another technique by installing a remote control sever on your mother's laptop and have your computer control her laptop to access the router configuration.

Have a look here http://www.tightvnc.com/

You install the server (host) on her laptop, making sure you disable or configured her firewall or security applications like anti-virus to allow port 5900 and 5800. Then you configured her router to forward port 5900 and 5800 to her internal IP address that she got from her router (usually something like 192.168.1.100 with Linksys routers). To find out her IP, just open up command prompt on her laptop and type ipconfig /all

After you are done configuring her operating system and router, you have to be on her laptop and go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ to get the external IP address (usually this is the IP that the ISP assigns to her modem).

Make sure you configured the TightVNC correctly on her laptop and create a password for security reasons.

On your computer from a remote location, you'll install the client (viewer) on your machine, and using her external IP address you'll connect to it and the rest should be pretty obvious. You have control over her laptop.

There is a documentation on their site that will help you get started. I wouldn't recommend TightVNC over the Internet because the only thing encrypted is the authentication and the rest of the packets are not, so to speed up the transfer. if you need real security, I recommend installing OpenSSH, and using SSH tunneling for all TightVNC connections from untrusted networks. But this type of method is slower and depending on how fast her upload speeds are it's probably going to be unbearable.

Law said:
I don't think that particular router support remote management, you should double check. You can use another technique by installing a remote control sever on your mother's laptop and have your computer control her laptop to access the router configuration.

Have a look here http://www.tightvnc.com/

You install the server (host) on her laptop, making sure you disable or configured her firewall or security applications like anti-virus to allow port 5900 and 5800. Then you configured her router to forward port 5900 and 5800 to her internal IP address that she got from her router (usually something like 192.168.1.100 with Linksys routers). To find out her IP, just open up command prompt on her laptop and type ipconfig /all

After you are done configuring her operating system and router, you have to be on her laptop and go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ to get the external IP address (usually this is the IP that the ISP assigns to her modem).

Make sure you configured the TightVNC correctly on her laptop and create a password for security reasons.

On your computer from a remote location, you'll install the client (viewer) on your machine, and using her external IP address you'll connect to it and the rest should be pretty obvious. You have control over her laptop.

There is a documentation on their site that will help you get started. I wouldn't recommend TightVNC over the Internet because the only thing encrypted is the authentication and the rest of the packets are not, so to speed up the transfer. if you need real security, I recommend installing OpenSSH, and using SSH tunneling for all TightVNC connections from untrusted networks. But this type of method is slower and depending on how fast her upload speeds are it's probably going to be unbearable.

Do you have a step by step on how to do this? this sound a little complicated. Thanks.

Try this http://www.tightvnc.com/winst.html

I don't know of any step by step guide for over the Internet. I don't think it's anything different from the above setup, all you really have to do is portforward the ports to her laptop internal IP. Then on your machine use her external IP address to connect to her network, when the router sees the port 5900 or 5800 it respond by forwarding the request to her laptop (that's why you have to set portforwarding). You wouldn't really need to use portforwarding if you were in her network but this is not the case since you'll be connecting over the Internet.

This is how you would make a secure connection over the Internet http://pigtail.net/LRP/vnc/

But it's probably too complicating for you?

The website recommends Radmin, because it's easier and by default it encrypts all its packet so you wouldn't really need a Linux box and all that complicating tasks.

As I said before, have you check her router to see if it has remote management features? If it does, than this solution would be easier.

Where do I get the client viewer and openssh? How do you disable or configured firewall or security applications like anti-virus to allow port 5900 and 5800? Also her router is linksys wrt54g. Thank you so much, really appreciate it.

You know what, I don't think this is going to be any easier for you or me, so forget about it.

I've already look into your router information for you. I have found that it supports remote management. It is in the Administration:Management section. Once you enable it, it will tell you to set the username and password. Then the default port would probably be 8080.

From your computer you'll use that port and her external IP address in a web browser just like the below example

https://65.74.46.34:8080 <==this is an example

Don't get confused about the IP address, all you have to do to find out what it is, is to go to the www.whatismyipaddress.com from her laptop and it will show you the external IP. Don't get confused with the internal IP address which is usually 192.168.1.100. You have to use the external IP because you're trying to connect to her network from another network.

Don't forget, that if the external IP address is dynamic, it will change! Therefore everytime it doesn't work would probably mean it has changed and you'll need to ask your mother to verify the address again from that site for you. Get it? It's not that hard.

Law said:
You know what, I don't think this is going to be any easier for you or me, so forget about it.

I've already look into your router information for you. I have found that it supports remote management. It is in the Administration:Management section. Once you enable it, it will tell you to set the username and password. Then the default port would probably be 8080.

From your computer you'll use that port and her external IP address in a web browser just like the below example

https://65.74.46.34:8080 <==this is an example

Don't get confused about the IP address, all you have to do to find out what it is, is to go to the www.whatismyipaddress.com from her laptop and it will show you the external IP. Don't get confused with the internal IP address which is usually 192.168.1.100. You have to use the external IP because you're trying to connect to her network from another network.

Don't forget, that if the external IP address is dynamic, it will change! Therefore everytime it doesn't work would probably mean it has changed and you'll need to ask your mother to verify the address again from that site for you. Get it? It's not that hard.

Law - actually your explanation made alot of sense, thanks. Is it possible for you to answer this question, for later purposes. How do you disable or configured firewall or security applications like anti-virus to allow port 5900 and 5800? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom