Home Network - Assistance for building Skynet.. any help with advice plzzzz?

Jondoyle24

Beta member
Hi All! Im a noob/unfamiliar with building a network.. am very savvy with other tech related stuff.

Honestly, i am really just needing advice for what to do.
Is the exsisting hardware i am using, below, what is killing performance?
Is it a throttle or speed limit by comcast thats limiting performance?
Is it both?
And would switching to the new hardware options i have help?
Or do i have to switch to new hard ware AND upgrade the internet speed?

Goal: Build a better home network, enhance the wired and wireless capability, not go broke, make connection and speeds faster, incorporate other devices into the network (i.e. printer).
Should i use dual band or stick with single band?

Current setup: - Thru wired or wireless i have the following hooked up.. i got a price error on 20 sets of 40ft ethernet cable (20cents each section! lol) so i have hard wire ethernet buried in walls and going thru floors thru out the house. they are buried but the wife is none to happy cuz places look like skynet lol
D-Link dir-655

ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

Devices/Uses: Laptop - wireless hd stream / internet, tablet - wireless hd stream / internet, roku - wired hd stream, dish hopper - wired hd stream, onkyo receivers - both wireless for misc purposes but want to make them wired, 2 galaxy s4 devices - wireless everything.

I have a bunch of equipment brand new i could use, or if these arent good enough for my needs - buy other options.
The equipment i have is:
TP-LINK TL-WDR4300 Wireless N750 Dual Band Router, Gigabit, 2.4GHz 300Mbps+5Ghz 450Mbps, 2 USB port, Wireless On/Off Switch
and a
TP-LINK TL-SF1008P 10/100Mbps 8-Port PoE Switch, 4 POE ports, IEEE 802.3af, 53W

also a new N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router, and some tp link home network powerline adaptor enhancers.

I prefer wired of course, but wireless has to be used on some devices.

My speeds both wired and wirelessly were very similar:
dl 7.55mbps
up 1.22
packet loss 0%
latency 20ms
jitter 3ms

Sounds like you are making this setup waaay to hard on your self.

The Comcast ISP modem has both wired (either port) and wire less.

I use the same modem.

Here is the basic and simple way to setup the network.

Get a basic 1gigabit switch that has more ports then you have wired devices, connect it to the modem and plug your devices into the switch.

Or connect thru the wireless.

Let your modem do the IP assignments

You do not need any other routers or switch's.

This is the easiest.

(The KISS system--keep it simple stupid)

Hmmm..

but what about my wireless? we have 2 galaxy s4's, a laptop for home, laptop for work, and a new tablet. i prefer to hard wire it all - which is what i do for most stuff. but the wireless stuff.. thats why i was trying to see if the current set up is good (which doesnt seem to be)
or if new hardware listed would suffice.

by your comment, it looks like i realy DO want to add the 8 port gigabit to it.
but what about the wireless router i listed? will it help boost?

$50 on old plan - getting 6-7mbps (supposed to have gotten 12-15).

Now, comcast apologized and giving me 20mbps for $52 for 12 months, option to re-up for another year @ price.

Back
Top Bottom