ethernet router w/o ethernet modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leicester4life

Beta member
hi is there any way of using a ethernet router without having an ethernet modem? i have a belkin wireless g router 802.11g 2.4ghz 54 mbps and a speedtouch usb adsl modem. thanks in advance.

Hmm, is there anyway i could use my router with a USB modem, even if the router doesn't have a USB port, by connecting it through the computer in some way?

You could connect the router to the computer through the NIC card, and connect the modem to the PC via USB. The other computers would plug into the Router. You would then have to configure Internet connection sharing on that PC, and it would have to remain ON in order for any of the other hosts to connect to the net.

Your router would end up basically beign a switch in that case. DSL modems aren't wildy expensive though, if you don't leave you machien on all the time it might be a better option.

Hmm, well I do leave my PC on constantly through the day, so that could be a viable option. Oh, btw would i go aboout connnecting my router to my NIC card, simply plug the Ethernet cable into my Ethernet port?

Thats correct. Make sure that you have the drivers installed for the NIC. You would ALSO have to enable Internet Connection Sharing for the 'pass-through' PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom