Ethernet Junction Question

InclementDeath

Beta member
Hey guys, I made an account for this post, seems like a pretty good place to ask this question.

Currently my setup is

Modem > Router > Computer

My house is equipped with QoC wiring throughout the house, that currently isnt active, the only thing I have is the test box holding the wires, and I want to avoid sinking my money into buying things I dont need.

So my question is, can I backfeed my connection through an ethernet port, down to my QoC box and use a junction to directly connect it to another part of the house? It would look something like this:

Modem > Ethernet wall jack (Takes the wires to the QoC box) > Junction box > Ethernet wall jack (Takes wires from QoC box to desired room) > Computer

I only need to wire up one PC, and I want to make sure I am putting my money in the right place, or do I need to buy a full blown setup and only wire up the whole house?

Thanks guys!

What's QoC wire? I tried googling "qoc cable", "qoc wire", and similar with no useful results.

If that QOC box is just the enclosure or is there something in it like a router/switch? In order to split your ethernet connections to separate rooms of your home, you should have:
modem - router - switch (QOC box?) - computers

OnQ is a brand name. The coax is the TV patch board. The other is a network patch board. You need to replace that with a simple hardwire router. The service from the street goes to the wan port on the router. From one of the lan ports on the router jumper over to a dumb switch. Dumb switch keeps the cost down. Then the cables plug in to the switch.
This way all of the computers get an independent IP address. If you use the patch block and just plug the lan of the router in to it, all of the computers get the same IP address and you have conflicts.

OnQ is a brand name. The coax is the TV patch board. The other is a network patch board. You need to replace that with a simple hardwire router. The service from the street goes to the wan port on the router. From one of the lan ports on the router jumper over to a dumb switch. Dumb switch keeps the cost down. Then the cables plug in to the switch.
This way all of the computers get an independent IP address. If you use the patch block and just plug the lan of the router in to it, all of the computers get the same IP address and you have conflicts.

This. You can pick up a basic switch at Walmart for less that $20. You can go with better but that would be the minimum. You just need to decide on how many connections you want available and how much you are willing to spend.

What you have is a telecom module.
1 x 6 Basic Telecom Module, 1267062-01 | by Legrand
I agree with setishock except as long as you have your coax in there ?, You could install your modem and router. I do not see a need for a switch unless you connecting more than 4 pc's/xboxes. Leave the OnQ telecom in there because it's also part of your home security system too. Numbers 1 through 3 look like they could go to separate rooms for your home.....That's if your set up is similar to that pic
Do the rooms in your home have RJ45 ports? or are all the cat 5 cables used for security?

Last edited:
We really need to see the inside of his box. He said the one in the pic isn't his so it could be misleading.

yup... the OP needs to give us more info about the OnQ device. It could be a network interface because the same company makes those too....could also be part of his phone system or it could be part of his security system
A pic of what's really there would be nice

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom