DOS attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmatt

The Bulldog
My buddy has a server that he just setup. nothing special, its just a simple web server with ftp for a downloads section.

Anyways he is worried about Denial of Service attacks. I went on wikipedia and it seems most aren't a big deal anymore. But are there any DOS attacks that he should be worried about? And how can he guard against them?

DOS attacks mostly target large-scale web servers. If your friend isn't doing anything that's in the corporate/business market, I wouldn't worry about them.

well, thats not always the case. most of the time its kids and theyll target anything to find out if their new script works or just to show off. where i work, we sell KVM switches, which your probably havent heard of, and we've had some script kiddie trying a DOS onour webserver

we fixed it by installing software (i dont actually know the details) that only accepts one connection per IP, or i think the real techie here actually did some coding in unix because its a linux based server.

well i know what kvm switches are. I help with the network at my school. But we havent had a DDOS in years. Last time they had one was abck when SYN Floods were effective.

As far as safeguards do you think that a decent firewall will do? I have him locked down against other threats (trojans, viri, etc etc) but DOS is a little different and he is paranoid about his server lol.

just read my post properly, will ya? i said that to prevent a DOS attack on a server, you need a program that logs IP connections to the server, and then you just block the IP address from where a DOS attack is coming from or install software that does it automatically.

well i did but it didn't help much. If I knew the program you spoke of that would be nice. And if I understand it correctly DOS attacks used spoofed IPs that are different in each packet. Is there some kind of app that can drop a reserved connection if an ACK is not received after a set period of time?

Have you ever heard IDS(intrusion detection system)? Maybe you can have a tyr.
But you will spent some time to learn how to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom