Does a Switch work with Crossover Cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jso

Baseband Member
Hello, my subject asks my question, does a networking switch work with crossover ethernet cable? Ex. I have 100 ft. of Crossover ethernet cable, and I don't want that to go to waste, so I was wondering if I could use it to connect a computer all the way in my basement directly to Switch upstairs. Also, what do you guys prefer to network with, a Hub, Switch, or a Router? Thanks!

I wouldnt have thought it would work. The switch crosses over the wire, so essentially you will end up with a nono0crossover wire. You can get little plugs which switch it over for a few pound. You could put this on first then plug in to your switch.

Jso said:
Hello, my subject asks my question, does a networking switch Also, what do you guys prefer to network with, a Hub, Switch, or a Router? Thanks!

For a home network, a router will usually do the job. For businesses and large corporate networks, it all depends on the type of network used, the configuration and the number of nodes on the network. It's sometimes a mixture of routing devices in large corporations.

Yea, thats what I would to as well. Just cut one of the ends though....no need to terminate both ends again.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom