Dir-625 + Dwa-542 ***Please Help!***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
***I know this looks long, just take a good minute to read and respond and help out, I'll really appreciate it!***

I had a D-Link DIR-625 router setup for somebody with a DWA-542 PCI wireless adapter.

Set it up with their cable internet service (Videotron) and the wired computer worked fine and dandy.

Then I try to connect the second computer through the wireless adapter (DWA-542) It doesn't connect, just gives me "Not Connected" in the Wireless Networks window. I took a look at the wired computer, and saw an error bubble from the taskbar telling me about an ip address conflict so I went to the wireless computer and forgot what I did, but got it to work eventually.

Now they call me back, and the problem has reoccurred, so my solution hadn't fixed the problem permanently. So I got them to execute "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew" in the command prompt and this didn't fix the issue.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the router at the moment, but I will be going to their house on Saturday. I'm thinking of setting up static ip addresses for them, to resolve that whole "ip address conflict" issue, but what could you guys suggest? I want to go there well prepared with possible solutions to try out.

I've set up plenty of routers for people and NEVER got this issue before... is the router trying to assign the same ip to both computers? I don't understand :confused:

Are they running any security on the wireless, or is it wide open?
Also, how many IP addresses are (total) in the DHCP pool?

You CAN resolve the trouble (well, SHOULD be able to) by setting up a static IP address on each PC, but that can be a pain in the rear in the future as well. If you DO deciede to go static IP, I would create a MS Word or Notepad document and save it to the desktop of each PC. Place info in the document for them to be able to change the NIC's back to DHCP if the need should arrise in the future, and save yourself a trip.

Hope everything works out.

Now that you mention it, I believe the wireless PC has a gimpy firewall that came with their ISP, I was way too distracted with other things to make note of it. I was busy with reinstalling a fresh, non-recovery version of XP on her old Presario 6300CA and had the worst night of my life finding the darn display, network and audio drivers for the most obscure integrated chips you could imagine. Plus the two dinosaur hard drives in there had the trippiest non-straightforward jumper settings ever.

Anyway, back on topic, so I'll have that gimpy firewall removed. Ah, wait, I read your question wrong, you mean was the connection encrypted? Yeah, I put a 64-bit WEP encryption (10-digit).

As for the DHCP pool, well, I think there were only 2 IPs assigned, and of course, like most routers it cycles from 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199, if that's what you meant by that.

btw, thanks for a swift, well appreciated response! Thanks! :)

No prob.... I was thinking that all of the addresses in the pool were being used.... can be done if there are enough (albeit unlikely) wireless users leeching from the routere, or if there aren't enough addresses set up in the pool.

Yes, I meant the encryption on the wireless.... WEP should be good. Not as secure as WPA, but in a home wireless network, it should be just fine, unless you have some psycho l33t h4x0r nerd for a neighbor.... lol.

No prob.... I was thinking that all of the addresses in the pool were being used.... can be done if there are enough (albeit unlikely) wireless users leeching from the routere, or if there aren't enough addresses set up in the pool.

Yes, I meant the encryption on the wireless.... WEP should be good. Not as secure as WPA, but in a home wireless network, it should be just fine, unless you have some psycho l33t h4x0r nerd for a neighbor.... lol.

ahah, not likely :) thanks again, I'd still appreciate some more ideas though, just so I have a variety of possible solutions, any more input is verily appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom