Coaxial outlet networking

Alexffiala

Baseband Member
I want to be able to connect my devices via ethernet in my home.

Currently, we have a upee dw3611 that is plugged into the downstairs coaxial port. I believe every room in the house has coaxial outlets but I wanted to know if I could install my own router via that outlet. If so, what would you recommend so I can do that?

I need something with 300-400mbps as our speeds are 50/5.

Thanks!

So you recieve internet thru your local cable company?

How do you currently connect your computer to the net? Wired or wireless?

The ubee is a cable to network device and should have at least two standard either ports which you can connect wired device to.

If you need more, the get a standard switch and connect it to the modum.

As for you speed, connect direct to the modum and run a speed test, it should be much faster then what you say, if not then call your cable company.

That upee device that you have is your cable modem as well as your wireless router.
Technically, you could move that modem any where in your house that has a coax connection. People who purchase phone and internet from their ISP's normally only have 1 or 2 spots in their house that have a coax and a phone jack (RJ-11) connection near each other. If you don't have a phone line plugged into your modem, you could definitely move the modem into a different room if you wanted.

On the other hand, you may or not be able to put a second modem in your house. This will depend on whether or not your ISP's incoming internet connection is filtered to only be accepted by the modem that they provided you with. Sometimes, the ISP only allows a certain MAC address to directly access the incoming internet connection, which would be the MAC address hard-coded into the modem they gave you.

Edit:
Alexffiala said:
I need something with 300-400mbps as our speeds are 50/5.
The upee that you have is DOCSIS 3.0, meaning that it's fine for you increased internet speed.

Last edited:
That's what I figured. I kind of wanted to avoid moving the router because I share my house with roommates. I suppose I could ask them if they'd be cool with me moving the modem, considering none of them are IT savvy or use the router for any hard-line connections.

Speaking of, how well do powerline connections work?

Speaking of, how well do powerline connections work?
I use a couple, they work really nicely. Unless you do huge file transfers over your LAN to other your other computers, powerline works really well.

The reason I say huge file transfers are a problem is because gigabit powerline adapters are really expensive. Most of the ones on the market will knock you down to 100base.

I use a couple, they work really nicely. Unless you do huge file transfers over your LAN to other your other computers, powerline works really well.

The reason I say huge file transfers are a problem is because gigabit powerline adapters are really expensive. Most of the ones on the market will knock you down to 100base.

I'm confused, large file transfers over powerline don't work because...? I would just think that maybe they're often inconsistent. But then again I don't know anything about powerline.

I'm confused, large file transfers over powerline don't work because...? I would just think that maybe they're often inconsistent. But then again I don't know anything about powerline.
They work but depending if you want buy the more expensive ones which offer gigabit, most of the ones people buy are only 100mbps rated. That would cut your theoretical throughput by 10 fold. It works, but it can be 10x slower than having it directly plugged into your router/modem.

For example, with that new wireless card of yours, wireless transfers from there to another computer can hit a theoretical maximum of 450mbps. Make sense?

Granted, this will not affect your INTERNET speed, only your internal LAN speed.

They work but depending if you want buy the more expensive ones which offer gigabit, most of the ones people buy are only 100mbps rated. That would cut your theoretical throughput by 10 fold. It works, but it can be 10x slower than having it directly plugged into your router/modem.

For example, with that new wireless card of yours, wireless transfers from there to another computer can hit a theoretical maximum of 450mbps. Make sense?

Granted, this will not affect your INTERNET speed, only your internal LAN speed.

Okay, I think I understand better now.

I'm probably going to just move the router. I don't think my roommates will care at all.

Back
Top Bottom