Cisco 1841 Router Setting up VPN for remote computer

jjohnston

Solid State Member
I have a Cisco 1841 Router. I would like to VPN into my network from my laptop when I am away.

What is the procedure to set this up on my router?

Do you want to login for maintance or to do some thing else?

Normally, in order to log in to a network work device, the first thing that needs to be done is, have your ISP change your IP to a static.

Then In the ISP modem, you need to set it to bridge mode, now it the modem is a combo router wireless, when going to bridge it will disable the router/wireless.

That means that your main router will now be the Cisco.

When you have done all the above, log into the ISP modem and go to advanced >port forward and set up the following ports to what ever your Cisco IP is.

IE: from ISP to Cisco 192.168.0.153 so from/to IP is 192.168.0.153 port 80 both tcp & UDP, then do the same for 443, 1723, 1891 and you may need one or two more.

Once this is all done, do a power reset of both the IPS madem and the Cisco.

Now on your computer, go to network connections and set up a new connect for VPN using the IP assigned to your system from your ISP>64.662.65.23

Using that IP, you should be able to go any where connect to an access point and connect to your cisco, then once connected you can do what you want.

Thanks!

Do I need to setup a username and password for the VPN account anywhere in the Cisco router, or is that handeled by my domain controller?

When you are setting up the VPN connection on your computer, it will ask for a user name and a password.

Use the same as what is already on your router.

SO, if you normally log into the router using admin/whatever, then that is also the the same for the VPN setup.

Once that is all set up, then when you wish to connect to the system, click start>connect to and it should should show that connection, click on it and you will get the following screen, just click on connect.

Attachments

• VPN.jpg
    VPN.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 2
OK Perfect! So I use the same login as my router login. Then when I connect to that network connection on my computer remotely, I can print a document to one of my network printers at the office?

Ok, so then on the router to allow me to do this without using the admin account on the router I would just use the "username user password password" command then the "aaa new-model" "aaa authentication login default local"

Back
Top Bottom