Bridging wirless router?

Jajao555

Solid State Member
Right now I have my desktop using my laptops wireless with connection sharing and everything works fine. My problem is I'd like to play online games but I'm pretty sure I lag too much. I tried pinging google and got about 400ms average from both my laptop and desktop through the wireless connection. At work I get 175ms average.

I know there are many factors involved but my real question is would my connection be better if I used an old wirless router to bridge it like this article shows. I have no way to run a cable I'd do that if I could.

Reuse an old router to bridge devices to your wireless network | How To - CNET

Jajao555 said:
I know there are many factors involved

Yep, you're right. But unfortunately, bridging a wireless router might not be the best solution if we don't examine them first.

1.) Are your laptop and router/modem in the same household, or are you sharing off your neighbor's?

2.) What kind of router are you using? (i.e. Band, a model # if you want?)

3.) How many total devices connect to the router? (at the most, ever?)

4.) Does the laptop ever use the internet simultaneously with the desktop connected?

5.) You said that your laptop shares the wireless connection with your desktop. How are they connected to each other? (ethernet/wireless?)

A lot of questions need answering before you can start proposing solutions like bridging wireless routers.

Bridging a router wirelessly and then connecting to the bridged router via ethernet won't net you any higher speeds in your case. You're still going through a wireless access point, so if anything, it will just slow you down from where you are now since you'd have to go through wireless and then wired.

I have a crossover cable coming from my laptop to my desktop. Laptop connects through wireless. I was thinking I would connect my desktop and xbox with cable to the the router which is the room right above where the gateway router is. Then the router would be bridged wireless to the gateway/ISP router.

No I don't use them at the same time usually I just turn on the laptop to get internet up then just go over to the desktop.

At most there are my phone, ipad, and another 2 PCs connected to our ISP's router.

Not sure of the name or model I'll check it out tonight. We have DSL from Verizon though.

Bridging a router wirelessly and then connecting to the bridged router via ethernet won't net you any higher speeds in your case. You're still going through a wireless access point, so if anything, it will just slow you down from where you are now since you'd have to go through wireless and then wired.

you are right, i agree.

Back
Top Bottom