Basic networking for a dummy

The log in the question is an ipconfig, and if you cant get internet and have an IP then its most likely a DNS issue.. DNS translates FQDN to an IP.. so if you have the wrong IP then you dont have a DNS.. And you cant get to the internet.

The only IP that will cause an issue in this question is the DNS, if it is incorrect, and the DHCP supplies the DNS so the DHCP server must be mis-configured.

This issue could go really deep into DNS, but on the simplest level, he is correct.

This issue could go really deep into DNS, but on the simplest level, he is correct.

We can go deep, but this is a Comptia question, that is not meant to... It's just a twisted question that you need to work out.

Which is why I am not going "deep" into DNS.. We could if you want :cool:

Last edited:
Ok, so just to recap...

1. If your local machine has an IP that is not an APIPA, then you are reaching the DHCP server.

2. In this case, the DNS IP is being provided by the DHCP server.

3. As a rule, if your local machine has a valid IP from DHCP, but cannot get to the internet, DNS is your problem.

4. In this case, PCs that were never shutdown the night before never released their config info, and still have the correct DNS IP, which is why they can reach the internet.

5. PCs that were shutdown the night before are requesting new DNS IPs from DHCP when booted up the following morning, and are receiving the wrong DNS IP, which is why they cannot reach the internet.

Do I understand all of that correctly?

1. is right normally, but if left on over night, you could reboot and find it gets a APIPA.

2. Yes, DHCP provides the DNS IP - otherwise you can manually add the IPs.

3. No, there can be a range of reasons why you cant connect to the internet with a valid IP from DHCP, but "normally" you'd check the DNS is correct first of all and you can ping.

But I am only discussing the question and what answer they want.

In a live environment there can be various reasons why, you have to look at the information you have and diagnosis the issue, this means gathering more information when needed etc.

4. & 5. is right, you understand

Last edited:
Awesome.

Looking back, I can see that I got caught up looking to IPCONFIG for the answer, when IPCONFIG only told half the story, and that the rest of the question contained most of the info needed in order to determine that DHCP was giving out the wrong DNS IP.

I can't thank you all enough, I really appreciate all of your help!

Awesome.

Looking back, I can see that I got caught up looking to IPCONFIG for the answer, when IPCONFIG only told half the story, and that the rest of the question contained most of the info needed in order to determine that DHCP was giving out the wrong DNS IP.

I can't thank you all enough, I really appreciate all of your help!

No problem, thats the thing in IT.. just because an error says A doesnt always mean A is the problem, it could be B or C and so on...
:cool:

Its good to refresh my head aswell! I was getting so confused misreading the question and not looking at the clues (attention to detail - I need to remember!) :cool:

The log in the question is an ipconfig, and if you cant get internet and have an IP then its most likely a DNS issue.. DNS translates FQDN to an IP.. so if you have the wrong IP then you dont have a DNS.. And you cant get to the internet.

The only IP that will cause an issue in this question is the DNS, if it is incorrect, and the DHCP supplies the DNS so the DHCP server must be mis-configured.

I wrote out this long thing but the above quote is the most correct within the context of the question and it matches my experience of most CompTIA practice questions being way more complicated than the actual exams.

I'd also like to mention that plenty of enterprise networking gear can provide dhcp services, so the default gateway and the dhcp server being the same ip doesn't necessarily mean anything. You might not want to set it up that way if you can help it, but the option exists.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom