Bandwidth Manager help Plz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

atd332

Baseband Member
Hey guys I have a neighbor who just bought a computer and he doesnt know much about computers and his parents dont have much money. He is a good friend of mine so i let him use my wireless DSL. The only thing is that lately he has been downloading alot of stuff, completely CORRUPTING my bandwidth speeds. I want to limit him to about 20KB download speeds instead of using my whole 250 or whatever. I want to limit him by mack address if it is possible, but if i have to use his IP then that will be fine too, as long as his network IP doesnt keep changing for my LAN. I have a linksys router, and i just want a good bandwidth manager that can keep his max at about 20KB for downloads. ANY Help at all would be appreciated, i have tried a few, but no real luck. You guys know your stuff, so i figured id ask. Thanks alot!!
-Adam

Limiting bandwidth to MAC address is usually only available to high end equipment. Not sure what you've tried already, but it'd have to be on the router it self. Actually, I don't think any "regular" home router will do this kind of thing.

You could always turn a low end machine you have sitting around into a router, and then use some kind of program to limit bandwidth that way, but you're getting into pretty advanced stuff there (if you haven't even created your own router before).

Just to give you an idea - I use smoothwall as my network firewall/router, and there is a MOD in beta stage to do bandwidth load balancing. I'm not sure how well it works, because I've never had a need for it. You could look into it, but by far your easiest solution to this problem is just to ask the kid to stop downloading so much stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom